PDA

View Full Version : Platform: Kettle-Component not documented

jbleuel
08-21-2006, 04:56 AM
There is no documentation for the Kettle-Component in
Pentaho_Creating_Solutions_1.2.RC1.pdf

In the Kettle-Component: How can I add input parameters (the field did not "react" to anything I tried) and how can I access them within Kettle. Are these command line parameters or Kettle variables?

Thanks,
Jens

arodriguez
08-21-2006, 10:23 AM
There are a couple of things going on here. First of all, you are correct that there is no documentation. We will get that updated right away and have it available with our next release.

Additionally there is a bug in the way the design studio creates the action sequence xml for the kettle component. Currently, the Kettle component requires a 'parameterx' component definition element for each input parameter being passed to the kettle engine. Below is a brief action sequence xml example for the kettle component. Note the example is not complete. In the example we want to pass "input1" and "input2" to the kettle engine. Therefore we must add "parameter1" and "parameter2" which reference the two inputs.

The need to create the "parameterx" component definition elements will soon be depricated. Unfortunately this was depricated prematurely in the design studio. So for now, if your using the design studio, after you create the Kettle Transformation step and added your inputs, you'll have to manually edit the XML to add a "parameterx" element in the component definition for each input you're trying to pass to the Kettle engine.

<action-sequence>

<resources>
<transformation-file>
<solution-file>
<location>kettleTransformation.ktr</location>
<mime-type>text/plain</mime-type>
</solution-file>
</transformation-file>
</resources>

<action-definition>
<component-name>KettleComponent</component-name>
<action-type>Kettle Transformation</action-type>