PDA

View Full Version : Includes Pentaho a Weka data-mining component?

lonifasiko
09-19-2006, 04:33 AM
Hi,

I've read many posts talking about Weka working under Pentaho.
I understand Pentaho has finally bet for Weka.

Contains Pentaho any already developed component that wraps Weka functionality? I mean, a component that internally calls Weka algorithms and any other Weka functionality?

My platform must perform some data-mining against MySQL and after some good research, Weka seems the right choice. We've also tried Yale (A GUI tool over Weka).

If this Weka wrapper component I tell you has not been still developed, do you plan to develop it or should I start building this new data-mining component myself?

Please, I would really appreciate any help on this.

Thanks very much in advance.

Ralf
10-30-2006, 04:42 PM
Hi Miguel,

YALE is not just a GUI tool for WEKA, but a complete environment for data mining in itself -- and far more
comprehensive than WEKA.
While YALE fully integrates all learning and meta-learning operators of WEKA, it also offers many more operators of its own and can also be used without WEKA. To give you an idea of its complexity: While WEKA has about 100 operators, YALE offers more than 400 data mining operators.
By the way, these operators include interfaces to many databases including e.g. MySQL, Oracle, Microsoft Server, etc. and all those offering JDBC or ODBC drivers.

So, if all you need for your project is a GUI for WEKA with database access for the WEKA operators, YALE may be a good choice for your application.
Alternatively, the source code of YALE could serve you as example for the kind of wrapper for WEKA you may have in mind. YALE is open-source software under the GPL, just like WEKA, and is freely available at SourceForge, just like WEKA and PENTAHO: http://yale.sf.net/

Best regards,
Ralf

Miguel / lonifasiko wrote:

Hi,
I've read many posts talking about Weka working under Pentaho.
I understand Pentaho has finally bet for Weka.

Contains Pentaho any already developed component that wraps Weka functionality? I mean, a component that internally calls Weka algorithms and any other Weka functionality?

My platform must perform some data-mining against MySQL and after some good research, Weka seems the right choice. We've also tried Yale (A GUI tool over Weka).

If this Weka wrapper component I tell you has not been still developed, do you plan to develop it or should I start building this new data-mining component myself?

Please, I would really appreciate any help on this.

Thanks very much in advance.

Post edited by: Ralf, at: 2006/10/30 20:50

Post edited by: Ralf, at: 2006/10/30 20:56