PDA

View Full Version : Forum functionality suggestion.

guzaldon
09-22-2006, 11:28 AM
Hey guys,

I got a suggestion on some forum functionality that would be nice to have in place because I just "wasted" time.

I was replying back to a post and I had the Welcome {username} in the top left corner and was able to reply to a thread. So I replied to a thread typed out a pretty lengthy response and hit submit. I was taking a log in screen where I log in and my post did not get posted and my forum intraction flow was broken.

So my suggestion for the forums is that once you have supplied a reply and then for some reason are required to log in that after you log in it keeps the flow of your interactions so it "caches" your post till your loged in once logged in you get your message posted and then your typical forum experience resumes. So the log in becomes just an addition step to posting and does not redirect you to the default login flow that backs the forum experience.

As we all know time is money and money is time and wasting time is like wasting money. So stream lining this forum interaction so your post in not lost would help to not "waste" time.

A few things of info, I'm using firework, I have check the "remember me" box, and I'm running on Suse 10 for my workstation. I don't know if this is a hicup but this is not the first time it's happened to me.

I hope you consider my suggestion for future forum improvements,

Nic

dmoran
09-23-2006, 08:15 AM
Nic,

I hear ya! We all hate this simple board and are moving off it as fast as we can. The web site is already off Mambo and moved to pure HTML. The next step is the forums - I think we are going to use vBulletin. It’s hard to know when this will happen since we need to move content etc. So far the whole conversion is taking way longer than we thought.

In the mean time I suggest doing what I do. Use another editor and paste the text into the reply. I have not lost a post in a while and I get the benefit of a spell checker (Cool - see, I would have spelled benefit wrong if I was not using Word ;) )

Another habit I got into with web forms in general is ctrl-A ctrl-C just before submitting, that has saved me a few times.

Doug

Post edited by: dmoran, at: 2006/09/23 12:17

guzaldon
10-05-2006, 10:06 PM
Doug

Thanks for the reply.

doing a select all and copy was what i was doing. But I'm glad to hear your moving to a better forum.

I decided to stop in and see what sort of new stuff is going on.

CONGRATS TO THE PENTAHO TEAM!!!!!
SourceForge project of the month.. booya it's getting even more momentium now.

Nic