PDA

View Full Version : Metrics, KPIs, and Alerts

sarah
11-27-2006, 05:58 AM
The BI Suite architecture diagram from the website (http://www.pentaho.com/images/pentaho_functional_architecture.jpg) lists Metrics, KPIs, and Alerts as Dashboard features.

I can see how all three of these can be accomplished though reporting and xaction features, but does Pentaho offer anything specific to these features?

I can trigger alerts though simple email bursting, and I can incorporate my own KPI calculations into kettle and reports. Is this the extent of these dashboard components?

jtcornelius
02-02-2007, 12:12 PM
Hello Sarah,

You are correct. Pentaho Dashboards provides you the ability to combine multiple Pentaho Reports, Action Sequences and even external content into a single-screen, easy to use dashboard interface. Furthermore, Dashboards can be enhanced to include custom drill paths, dynamic filtering and more.

We are currently in the requirements phase for creating a new Dashboard Designer interface that will allow you to easily create, publish and maintain sophisticated dashboard solutions without having to understand XML, HTML, etc. In the coming weeks I will publish our vision for the Dashboard Designer to get feedback from the community. Stay tuned and I would love to get your feedback once I publish the Dashboard Designer specifications.

Thanks for your interest in Pentaho, feel free to email me any questions you might have.

Regards,
Jake
jake@pentaho.org

avinashcm
02-12-2007, 03:21 PM
Hi Jake

i am wondering what type of interface the dashboard builder will have. will it have a web interface like Siebel Analytics or it will be another plugin for Eclipse.
I have something to share regarding plugins.

1) there are already opensource web plugins available for eclipse with jsp and ajax capablities . functionally similar like vb ( drag nad drop )

2) (just an idea) create jsp pages using plugin and we can assign respective report defenitions to the page. when the report defenitions are assigned they shud blow up as reports with corresponding charts and filters if any . this would allow us tuning the appearance of the dashboard. finally we save the jsp file in the required folder.

sorry if it is a crap idea.

thanks
avinash

meenaiyer
06-15-2008, 11:43 PM
Hi sarah,

Am looking for the same. Did you get any solution? Or Where i can find these options (KPis and Alerts) ? I meant which component i need to implement KPis and Alertsin Pentaho?

Thanks,
Meena :)

codek
06-16-2008, 03:47 AM
There is no designer- but i'd reccomend looking at the "Community dashboard framework" which can be found in the wiki... It doesnt really need a designer, it's very easy to use.

Dan

jonstrong
01-13-2009, 07:22 PM
Reviving Sarah's original post in this thread: we had a similar question... In the past, I've implemented KPI's as combinations of:
- calculation formulas
- filters / data views to subset the data being monitored / measured
- sets of threshold values against which calculated metrics are compared
- a mechanism to store KPI measurements and thresholds over time

With a framework like that in place, showing a KPI in the context of a report is simply another data view (as in MVC). Additionally, we can store and show KPI trends over time - which is a core concept in BPR / reengineering practice where we look to process models such as kaizen, continuous improvement, six sigma, etc.

We're new to Pentaho (community edition) and have been working our way through the software, gradually making sense of the pieces. I've been searching for info about KPI's in Pentaho, and so far all I'm seeing is the notion of using multi-state display controls (e.g., gauges) in a dashboard, being fed values via an action sequence. Is there more built in, or should we simply be going heads down to build our own KPI framework?

Any advice / experience / pointers most welcome!

Thanks,
Jon

pmalves
01-13-2009, 08:03 PM
Though not a complete answer, CDF can help you there.

It has "low level" objects - charts, dials, tables, xaction executions, etc, and I've been implementing lately some higher level layers based on OLAP. On my case it was to study evolutions and make dimensional analysis, but the same line of though can be extended to KPIs.

Take a look to see if that can help

pstoellberger
01-14-2009, 06:39 AM
CDF (Community Dashboard Framework) can be found here: http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/COM/Community+Dashboard+Framework

rajesh_upd
05-28-2009, 02:07 AM
I was also looking for features in pentaho where I can create dashboards and configure KPIs and alerts as if these were a "first class concept" . I understand currently it is possible to have KPIs, metrics and alerts using various reporting, ETL and xactions (emails) combination, yet it would be good to find an environment in 3.0 where one can get all the above as configurable , first class concepts.