PDA

View Full Version : Pentaho FORUMS are getting a new home!

gmoran
12-04-2006, 07:32 AM
We are pleased to announce that on December 10, 2006, we will be moving the Pentaho project forums to a new, faster, more full-featured forum site. This move includes the forums for the Pentaho project, the Mondrian project, the Kettle project and the JFreeReport project.

The objective for moving the project forums is simple and sincere - we wish to provide the very best community environment for all of our communities to work, play and develop in. All of the project forums had room to grow toward this objective. Each project (ie., Mondrian, Kettle, Pentaho) will have it's own portal into the forums for those community members who wish to remain focused on the individual project. We also now have the added benefit of providing integrated resources for the community that is using multiple Pentaho projects or the entire BI suite.

We are very well aware that moving a project's forums is very much like moving a home for an open source project, and have taken care to "pack all the valuables" carefully. Our first effort at making sure the community is informed and involved is this pre-announcement of the move. We are asking for your comments, concerns and feedback on our plan for handling the move. You can review the Forum Migration FAQ (to be posted soon), and post your thoughts in this forum. We will migrate the Migration Support Forum and keep it live for 90 days after the move or until we feel that all communities have settled in to their new forums comfortably.

We also invite anyone in the community to preview the test forum site that we have set up to validate the move. Email communityconnection@pentaho.org> for instructions on how to access the test site.

Stay tuned for for info!!

Kind regards,
Gretchen
Pentaho Community Connection

weavelink
12-04-2006, 11:40 PM
Great that the forums will get a new home and will be faster and more usable.

But what about the sourceforge forums and mailing lists? Will these disappear ?

Being very active on the mondrian project, I must say I really like the mailing list for developers on sourceforge, because it is much more usable that any forum I have seen. I never miss any message and can reply in very fast manner without the hassle of browsing to a website and forum. Also a mailing list has the benefit over rss that one can immediately post back messages.

I also think it is important to keep a separate developers forum, because these questions posted there are not about using the software, rather that pure developer questions. While I do not have a developer account on the sourceforge forum, I regularly post software changes and pinpoint bugs to the developers.

Thanks,
Bart

gmoran
12-05-2006, 05:14 AM
Bart,

In the FAQ at http://community.pentaho.org/faq/forum_migration_faq.php, we describe in detail what will happen with the Mondrian Sourceforge forums. All data will be migrated into the new forum software, users will be alerted as to how to manage their accounts in the new forums, and the Sourceforge forums will be closed, with lots of messaging on how to find the new forums.

If you would like to see what the new forums will be like, I invite you to test out the Mondrian posts on our test site - email me at communityconneciton@pentaho.org if you are interested.

I am just now working out the details of the Mondrian maililng lists. They have not been overlooked, just ended up being the last bit on a mountain of work!

There will be a new mailing list service for Mondrian using Mailman. There is a plugin to the new forums that will allow us to use a vBulletin forum as the archive for the mailing list, which is super sweet, because now you can search the mailing list archives and the Mondrian forums at the same time. You will be able to use the list as you would a normal mailing list, but the kicker is you can post to the list through the forums as well.

We are working through some needle-y implementation details, but as soon as its all smooth, I will post exactly what is going on with the mailing lists on the existing Mondrian mailing lists and the FAQ.

We haven't created separate developers forums for Mondrian because in the end, the consensus was that the content in the forums was not necessarily always true to the forum title, and giving more forums was more confusing than less. But here is the deal - if I hear from the Mondrian community that this is important to them, then we'll give you what you need. I AM listening very intently:)

Thanks for the feedback Bart, see you in the forums soon,
Gretchen
Pentaho Community Connection

weavelink
12-05-2006, 05:27 AM
Thanks for the fast reply !

For me, the developer mailings list are really important because they have proven to be very helpful - for the developers of mondrian.

Since it is not always clear who has created a piece of software, all the developers can follow specific development questions - specific to developing the core of mondrian, not the usage or implementation of it.

Take a look at the developer mailing list and you will see it is very actively used by the developers, maybe you should post questions about the future of the list in that mailing list ?

Thanks !
Bart

gmoran
12-05-2006, 05:41 AM
Excellent suggestion Bart! I will post over there today, after I have the mailing lists working in the test site, so anyone interested in trying out the mailing list/forum functionality can.

It is possible that by starting a new mailing list, THAT can be the more developer-centric forum, and the Mondrian forums become more about implementation and use? It would take a little direction, but I think (VERY generally) users are more comfortable in forums and developers mailing lists anyway... of course, that could be just my perception:)

thanks,
-G

weavelink
12-05-2006, 05:56 AM
I think you are right, a mailing list is more suited for developers that users.

Since developers - like me - usually use both, it would be nice if the normal user forums would also work like a mailing list if you subscribe to it (so also possible to reply using email).

Part of the time, I am also answering questions to end-users and implementors of the software.

Replying to this thread would have been much easier in that case.

A mailing list should post questions posted on the forum as separate mails, otherwise, replying is not very easy (not as a digest mail).

Thanks !
Bart

gmoran
12-05-2006, 06:04 AM
Funny, Julian also mentioned he would like the main Mondrian forum to behave as a mailing list as well.

The only problem with that that I see, is not everyone in your community will want to be on that mailing list. There will be existing and new users who are more accustomed to the "go to the forums to post and browse" process, and I know lots of folks who do NOT want every message in the forum in thier inbox.

I will update this thread as we get closer Bart, thanks again.

-G

weavelink
12-05-2006, 06:10 AM
Maybe you can take a look at the sourceforge mailing list manager.

A user needs to subscribe to the mailing list or forum (both are there) and needs to configure how to receive mail. There are a lot of options to configure, so it is very flexible.

So being a member of a forum is not equal to being subscribed to the mailing list, both are separated.

Thanks !

Bart

gmoran
12-05-2006, 06:38 AM
That's correct, and the mailing lists and forums are SEPARATE entities on sourceforge.net. I understood your previous post -

Since developers - like me - usually use both, it would be nice if the normal user forums would also work like a mailing list if you subscribe to it (so also possible to reply using email).

- to mean that you wanted the main Mondrian forum to be one and the same, a forum AND a mailing list. Which is possible, it just requires EVERYONE to be a part of the mailing list, which as I stated before, I don't think that's reasonable for an entire community:)

Gotta get back to actually getting the new mailing lists working, and then you can try out for yourself some of what we are talking about here. I think you will like what the new forums will do for you regarding the lists, and as I said before, if there are voices in the community that request another forum or mailing list, that's absolutely possible.

kind regards,
-G