PDA

View Full Version : Output formats other than PDF

Anonymous
06-18-2002, 08:38 PM
Hello.

Are there any plans ( or has someone already written some ) to have other output formats other than PDF? Such as Jakarta POI ( Excel/Word ), or HTML.

I am looking at some possible reporting solutions and like what I see so far with JFreeReport.

Thanks,

Andy

Anonymous
06-19-2002, 06:51 AM
Hi,

currently there are no other targets implemented, but excel/word, html and xml were requested often and such targets will be implemented in future releases.

If you or someone else who is reading this post is interested in writting more targets, just drop me a note for access to the cvs. Any help is strongly welcomed.

Have more fun,
said Thomas

Anonymous
07-08-2002, 04:27 AM
Hi,

When do you expect delivery of an Excel format? (with POI)

Thanks for advising

JMi

Anonymous
07-08-2002, 04:07 PM
Hi,

honestly, I don't know. But maybe you can help me with that. Well, I have a problem when mapping the pixel coordinate space into an excel cell scheme. How would you want to fill the report data into the excel sheet in a sensefull way.

Surely you want to perform calculations or create charts using the data, so I will be a happy one, if you can send me a small example of an excel (or any other table) result so that I can get a better imagination on that issue. Or just describe what you want, examples, information all you can think of is welcomed here.

If I have this, then it will be much easier to start that task.

Have more fun,
said Thomas

Anonymous
07-08-2002, 04:46 PM
This is something I've thought about in the past...JFreeReport generates reports by placing elements at pixel positions on a page. But there are formats such as spreadsheets and text that use cell or character positioning and it would be great if there was a way to specify a "subsidiary" format for a report that allowed it to handle cell/character based targets in a sensible way. I'm happy to join in any discussion on how this might be achieved.

Regards,

DG.

Anonymous
07-16-2002, 10:17 AM
I start using JFreeReport.

According to the xml file definition, (x,y) + width and heigth are used to put the element to the screen. Perhaps could we use the data to give a size to the cell. I don't have already used POI but i have used Jacob (http://www.danadler.com/jacob/) With that api, it is possible to do everything with Excel. I think that POI can do the same. I think that i'll start soon (after my soaring holidays ;->) learning your code and POI...

Regards

JMi