PDA

View Full Version : The JDK used for JFreeReports ver 0.7.5

Anonymous
07-25-2002, 06:07 AM
Hi,

Which version of JDK is used for JFreeReports ver 0.7.5.

I use IBM Visual Age ver 3.5.3 and found that "JFreeReports ver 0.7.5" is giving me a lot of compilation errors like:
eg: MENOMIC_KEY not found in javax.swing.Action

Guess it is because VAJ 3.5.3 uses JDK 1.2.2 internally.

Which ver of JFreeReports is compatible with JDK 1.2.2 ?

rgds
G1

Anonymous
07-25-2002, 03:20 PM
Hi,

Yes, your guess is right. JDK 1.2.2 (and VAJ 3.5 itself) is old enough to deserve the rest in some ancient grave :)

All versions (at least since 0.7.0) are using JDK1.3 features. The backend structures should not use any JDK-1.3 features, I hope, but all SwingComponents rely heavily on the extended Action-Support in Swing 1.3.

But if you want to try it: a downgrade-port should be possible.

Have more fun,
said Thomas

Anonymous
07-26-2002, 05:33 PM
Hi,
I'm one of those guys who love VAJ so much that they still use it.
And I use JFreeReport in VAJ on its JDK1.2.2.

The only compilation problems result from the usage of javax.swing.Action in the PreviewFrame.

I imported all JFreeReport-libs in my repository and workspace (JFreeReport itself as sourcecode, the others as classes). Then I changed all usages of Action so that the code compiles.
It is a little work, but it's not too hard.

You don't have to worry about compilation errors in the gnujaxp-lib used by JFreeReport. The erroneous parts don't seem to be used by JFreeReport and therefore don't affect your project.

Now I'm able to generate and preview reports in VAJ, although the buttons in the preview dialog don't work any more.
But I can live with limited preview during development.
The productive software is running on JDK 1.3.1 with the original JFreeReport libs.

So you don't have to change your IDE and you don't have to use an old version of JFreeReport.

Bye, Stefan