PDA

View Full Version : JFreeReport for reports without SQL datasets

Anonymous
08-21-2002, 04:17 AM
Hi!
I am looking for a report class library to support a special need in a project, to produce reports from data stored in XML. The data is complex and can be seen as several datasets, this means that JFreeReports normal way of presenting data from one dataset can not be used. But I like the architecture of it and that iText is used (which also supports RTF that we will need to output to).

My idea is to use JFreeReport and build the report files in XML on the fly and since I have several datasets I will not use it exactly the way it is intended. Instead I will have to put all data in the report header (or elsewhere) and format it as I please. One obvious problem with this is that I have to tell the height of the section where I will put everything, a height that is hard to calculate. The reports will probably be around 10-50 pages.

Do you see other problems or possibilities if going further using JFreeReport for this purpose?

Thanks,
/Klas

Anonymous
08-21-2002, 05:45 AM
hi,Klas,
I think you should build your data into a class thar implement TableModel
interface.After all ,JFreeReport is built on TableModel,it gets all its data
from a TableModel and its data operation is also based on TableModel,
so, I think building a TableModel is more convenient.
That's just a suggestion.:)
Hope you favor

tsingt

Anonymous
08-21-2002, 09:20 AM
Hi tsingt,

Thanks for your feedback.
I don

Anonymous
08-21-2002, 08:59 PM
Hi,Klas,
Could you link all your datasets into a view?in the same way like we
link some tables into a view.I think ,with a universal data view,you can
implement your idea.
Have fun:)

tsingt

Anonymous
08-22-2002, 04:33 AM
Hi tsingt,
I don't think a view is possible because of the inconsistency, it would contain 100-200 columns and be very sparse (a lot of null values).
An alternative could be to start every new dataset in the view with a row of column names (and maybe datatype). This will require some special handling for each dataset, i.e. JFreeReport normal handling of a dataset can not be used as far as I can see.

Thanks for your concern!
/Klas