PDA

View Full Version : HTML-like formatted labels

Anonymous
09-18-2002, 05:13 AM
Do you plan to include the HTML-like formatting inside one block? I mean, something like this:
<label .... x="" y="" ...>
Strings can be bold, italic, <u>underlined</u>, can have
<font size="3">different</font> size, <font face="Verdana"
color="#FF0000">face and color</font>.
</label>

Anonymous
09-18-2002, 04:17 PM
Hi,

no, no html like style as it is not sufficent enough to encode number or date formats or special handling of values etc. But the next version will include some kind of FlowLayout, so that multiple elements can be formed to floating text and supply this kind of result as html does.

So you get something like:

<container layout="FlowLayout">
<constraint>
<property name="x">..</property>
<property name="y">..</property>
<property name="width">..</property>
<property name="height">..</property>
</constraint>
<label>Strings can be</label>
<label><text-style bold="true"/>bold</label>
<label>, </label>
<label><text-style italic="true"/>italic</label>
<label><text-style color="#FF0000" underline="true"><font face="Verdana" size="3"/></text-style>size, face and color</label>

<label>

</label>
</container>

The upcoming changes move more functionality from the elements implementation to specialized classes like Layoutmanagers and their constraint implementations.

I feel uncomfortable when elements start to implement more and more functionality in more and more derived classes. This kind of implementation was in the previous versions when many elements implemented the same behaviour (as DateElement and DateFunction do) without a chance of reusability and change resistency of the element implementations.

As promised a long time ago, the current parser will remain compatible to the current DTD, but not all features will be available in that parser. A new parser with a more suitable syntax will be added as primary JFreeReport-Definition language generator.

Have more fun,
said Thomas

Anonymous
09-24-2002, 09:47 AM
It will be very nice. I believe adding such features will rise JFreeReport's status. It will become a more serious reporting tool, and can ever compete with most commercial reporting tools by functionality.

Good luck.
Rustam.