PDA

View Full Version : Are there any better samples?

Anonymous
05-23-2004, 02:45 AM
Hi,
Please don't flame me, I'm not trying to antagonize... just being honest and trying to make the best decision. I'm trying to choose between JFreeReport and JasperReports for my reporting engine. At this point I've only done a bunch of reading and I played around with Jasper a little. So far, based on usability, customizability, support and architecture, JFree wins hands down. The support seems to be much better here, development looks like it's faster paced and it looks like reports are much more customizable through code. So I REALLY would like to go with JFree, however, I question the 'demo' reports. I have some fairly advanced reporting requirements but all the demos look like really simplistic grids.... and to be honest, downright ugly.

So...

a) I'm just not looking in the right place (I did "java -jar jfreereport-0.8.4_10-demo.jar").

b) The demos are just quick and basic, not designed to fully demonstrate JFreeReport's abilities.

c) That's just the stage JFreeReport's is at right now, so I should look for a different solution.

For example, is it capable of doing a report like this example?
http://jasperreports.sourceforge.net/samples/FirstJasper.html

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Mimil
05-24-2004, 06:25 AM
Hi,

we will not beat you, we are civilized ;)
By the way, i will try to answer your questions:

a) I'm just not looking in the right place (I did "java -jar jfreereport-0.8.4_10-demo.jar").
No, you are looking in the right place. Most of demos are there. Some other files are in the demo directory (ex: StraightToPDF, ...), some others are in the ext package (ex: for JFreeChart uses, ...) but these little files are not really elaborate.

b) The demos are just quick and basic, not designed to fully demonstrate JFreeReport's abilities
Yes, they just show common JFreeReports abilities. They are bacis because Taqua (the leader of the project, who do all the work) have to choose between make new abilities, debugs, next release, ... or make advanced demos... (Well you see what I mean :P)
It should be very nice if people which has done sone advanced reports can post/send them to us and we will be very happy to put them with our demos.

c) That's just the stage JFreeReport's is at right now, so I should look for a different solution
No, you can do so much things :)

Bye,
Mimil

PS: I hope that I have not speak for Taqua

Taqua
05-24-2004, 03:19 PM
Hi,

that particular JasperReport uses SubReports, something JFreeReport in its current state can't do. We are working on it...

And I have to say: Yes, our demos are just UGLY. But time is always a precious gift - and between bugfixing and working on the (way to late) new release does not leave much time to think about the demos. And as currently the job and university rip off most of my time and energy things became very slowly lately.

Most of the newer demos (the more advanced ones, like form printing or the invoice demo) were made as response to support requests. This way I was able to show working examples for the things I tried to explain. And at some point it is faster to code a demo than to explain all details ;)

Have mo' fun,
said Thomas

Anonymous
05-24-2004, 03:22 PM
Thank you both for your responses. I totally understand the necessity of focusing more time on development rather than on marketing.