PDA

View Full Version : Excel Interface

semmett
09-26-2002, 09:49 AM
Firstly, congrats on what you have done so far, things are looking good.
Secondly I had a comment regarding (dare I say it) excel. Today OLAP in business is used extensively (primarily?) as a tool for finance professionals be they at financial, retail, manufacturing firms etc. FACT the absolute vast majority of these folks extensively use Excel and the take up of any new OLAP tool will be hindered (or indeed it will be impossible) if integration with Excel is not available.
Is this something you guys have thought about? I would be happy to help out and work on some of that integration......
Simon

jhyde
09-26-2002, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the compliment. We aim to impress.
You are correct that Excel integration is important. I'd love to do it. Unfortunately, it seems like a hard problem. Three approaches I can see are:
1. Write an OLE DB for OLAP provider for mondrian. Then we can use the existing pivot table control in Excel. Not easy, but the fact that the mondrian api was originally modeled on OLE DB for OLAP would help.
2. Push ahead with the JOLAP provider and hope that someone writes a control which plugs into Excel and talks to a generic JOLAP provider.
3. Push ahead with the JOLAP provider and hope that someone writes a JOLAP provider for OLE DB for OLAP.
In 2 or 3, that 'someone' would probably have to be us. :)
Can you see any other approaches? What did you have in mind?

semmett
09-26-2002, 02:48 PM
I think 2 or 3 is the way to go forward.
Hyperion are by far and away the market leader in the OLAP space right now (and outrageously expensive!!!). Assuming they will build JOLAP connectivity into excel as well will also mean there may be more chioce from that perspective (also it will make it easier to plug Mondrian into an existing Hyperion installation)
I have to confess that I am no expert WRT JOLAP but from what I have seen it seems the right way to proceed.
In this case #2 sounds like the right approach, in fact if the layer is designed correctly it could have a core layer that could be used in any local front end e.g. excel, Gnumeric, staroffice or any local app and then we add an Excel specific layer on top of that? (unsure if that is a good idea - need more knowledge of JOLAP)
Just my 2 cents.....
Simon

jhyde
09-26-2002, 03:04 PM
I expect that all of the leading OLAP vendors have Excel add-ins already, so they're unlikely to redevelop them in JOLAP. We'll have to wait for a third-party to build one -- like ProClarity for OLE DB for OLAP -- except that ProClarity are firmly in the Microsoft camp. So, I won't be holding my breath.
OLE DB for OLAP is a COM API, so we'd have to back-port to MSJAVA (which has native support for COM, but is frozen at JDK 1.1.7) or go for a cross-language implementation (say C++ mixed with Java). Again, not very nice.
XML for Analysis is the answer. We can implement that in Java (+ Apache Soap) and Excel doesn't care what kind of database it's talking to.
Problem is, we are stetched for resources with the JOLAP project. Any volunteers?

henrik_holm77
10-10-2002, 09:24 AM
Hello,
My name is Henrik and I have a couple of questions.
Background:
We are two guys who developed a webbased "Energy consumption monitoring" software for a small company. Everything done in Ms SQL/ASP. We are now thinking of migrating to Postgres/PHP for various reasons. The only thing holding us back right now is the OLAP thing. As part of the complete re-write we want to add some features, one of them is OLAP. This also means that I'm new to the technology of OLAP
Question 1
What client would you recomend for your OLAP server? How many are there to choose from?
Question 2
Is there a timeframe for the Excel integration mentioned in a previous posting? (more then "when there is time") :)
Question 3
Do you know of any other OLAP server that doesn't cost a million $ ?
Thanks, so far Mondrian looks good. If I had the skills I would like to join in on development. Unfortunally they stop at ASP/PHP-coding..
////henrik

jhyde
10-11-2002, 01:38 PM
What client would you recomend for your OLAP
> server? How many are there to choose from?
If you just want to run fixed reports, there is a JSP tag library which formats MDX queries as an HTML table.
There is no interactive interface right now. Our sister project JPivot (registered in sourceforge) will be a JSP-based pivot table. It is probably about 2 or 3 months from alpha; contact Andreas, the project lead, for more details.
> Is there a timeframe for the Excel integration
> mentioned in a previous posting? (more
> then "when there is time") :)
No. XMLA support (which is what it would take) is lower priority than JOLAP.
> Do you know of any other OLAP server that
> doesn't cost a million $ ?
Sorry, don't know of one. That's why I founded Mondrian!
> Thanks, so far Mondrian looks good. If I had the
> skills I would like to join in on development.
> Unfortunally they stop at ASP/PHP-coding..
Thanks for the kind wishes. We look forward to you becoming a user if you can't be a developer. Keep in touch.

cfalonso
01-15-2004, 03:19 AM
Hello Julian, Paul, Sean, Andreas.
I've been doing simple tests with mondrian for a couple of weeks and I really like it.
I just wanted to ask about the current status and hopes for Excel integration (and probably with other tools like Crystal Reports and Seagate Analysis).
I found this thread from 2002 where it says that Excel integration was in your plans but had lower priority than JOLAP.
I'd like to now if there's any news or decision about that.
Thanks a lot,
--Claudio

avix
01-15-2004, 06:40 AM
A simple way to export a JPivot table to Excel is to change the content type of the JSP to Excel, e.g.
<%
response.setContentType("application/vnd.ms-excel");
%>
Then the browser will forward the page to excel which is able to read basic HTML.

skyeyscorpio
02-25-2004, 06:44 PM
hi avix,
I have added
<% response.setContentType("application/vnd.ms-excel");%>
to testpage.jsp
excel file is shown in IE.
But there are some unexpected gray rectangles covers the actual data.
If I ctrl+a , ctrl+v copy it to a new sheet,
everything is fine.
Could anyone help me to solve this?
thanks.
marty

skyeyscorpio
02-25-2004, 07:03 PM
I have confirmed that those gray blocks are orginal arrows in dimentions, points (natual order) in measures columns.
I can use if.. to avoid rendering buttons when I want to gernarate excel.
But these arrows....I do not know how ya..
Thanks.
marty

avix
02-26-2004, 06:05 AM
You should change the xsl stylesheet. Make a copy of mdxtable.xsl, e.g. mdxexcel.xsl, and remove the rendering of these images. Use the new xsl in the excel jsp in the <wcf:render> tag.