PDA

View Full Version : Presentation Layer Question

fgabrielcruz
02-13-2003, 05:52 AM
In the Mondrian architecture page you state; there are many ways to present multidimensional datasets, including pivot tables (an interactive version of the table shown above), pie, line and bar charts, and advanced visualization tools such as clickable maps and dynamic graphics. These might be written in Swing or JSP, charts rendered in JPEG or GIF format, or transmitted to a remote application via XML. My question to you is do you know of an Open Source project that will work with Mondrian to render pie charts, line and bar charts in JPEG or GIF format. Looking for something. JPivot works great need to have something graphical. Thx.

jhyde
02-13-2003, 07:21 AM
I totally agree. JGraph could be used to render charts on the server, or the server could use XSLT to generate SVG to be rendered in the browser. The components would also need to be integrated into the tag library, so that a chart and a pivot table are synchronized on the same dataset.
However, we are at full stretch implementing the Mondrian server and the JPivot control, and it would be foolish to divert resources from core functionality to work on a charting package.
This is where the open source model ought to kick in: if your organization needs to build a charting package (or other application components) on top of mondrian, and I will help you build an open source component. With luck, we might get several developers who can collaborate.
If you would like to get involved, please post to this discussion, or email me.