PDA

View Full Version : JOLAP vs MDX in Mondrian

sgwood
07-05-2003, 07:21 AM
In the 0.6 version, there are implementations for both JOLAP and MDX. The MDX side of things seems more complete and well tested. I know that JOLAP is a future direction, once it is finalized.
Can someone give me a view of where Mondrian is going with these two interfaces?
Thanks,
Sherman

jhyde
07-07-2003, 06:50 PM
Mondrian implements 3 APIs: MDX, JOLAP, and XML for Analysis. The MDX interface is the Mondrian's original and core API. We are adhering to the standard for the MDX language, but the Java API is proprietary.
We aim to have an implementation of JOLAP once the specification is released, but right now there are no client applications or publicly compliance tests. Because our resources are limited right now, we're concentrating on features which will be more useful to Mondrian's existing user-base.
One of those 'other features' is XML for Analysis. It provides immediate value -- connectivity to Mondrian from across a network and from other languages -- and because it is based upon MDX, it is relatively straightforward to implement. XML for Analysis support is almost complete.

mondrian_jnicho02
10-02-2003, 08:20 PM
I see that JOLAP reached Proposed Final Draft on 11 Sep, 2003
http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=69

cskiraly
10-29-2003, 01:47 AM
Can you tell me what is the current status of JOLAP support in Mondrian?
I see that javax.olap.* is included in the distribution. Are these interfaces implemented?
Its also not clear to me what JOLAP support was in version 0.6, and whether it is included in 1.0.
Thank you in advance,
with best regards,
CsKiraly

jhyde
10-29-2003, 04:05 AM
Fyi, I have just adopted the JOLAP APIs as of the final draft. Our online javadoc is, as far as I know, the only online javadoc for the latest JOLAP API.
Mondrian's support for JOLAP is at about the same level as it was in 0.7. To get an idea what works, see JolapTest.java.