PDA

View Full Version : ragged hierarchies

mondrian_jnicho02
07-18-2003, 12:40 AM
can hierarchies have skipped levels?
(I couldn't see it in the schema doc although I do see that parent-child hierarchies are handled)

jhyde
07-18-2003, 07:29 AM
No, not currently. Do you need this feature?

mondrian_jnicho02
07-23-2003, 09:32 PM
It is something that I have come across many times in real world situations. For my current project I may solve the problem by inserting a dummy level.
I'm giving Mondrian a trial by building reports for Tutos
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tutos
It's doing pretty well so far and I am very impressed.

jhyde
07-24-2003, 04:06 PM
OK, I hear you. Can you log an RFE? If you know of other systems which support ragged hierarchies -- e.g. Analysis Services uses a dummy value to indicate a missing level -- and have some ideas how a ragged schema might be modeled in a catalog.xml, please put them in the RFE.
Nice to hear of someone who's using us, and even better to hear that they're pleased with what they're getting! I'm thinking of adding a list of projects/companies using Mondrian to the home page. May I add Tutos?

mondrian_jnicho02
08-27-2003, 02:41 AM
sorry about that Julian, just drifted off for a month.....re:Tutos I'm only doing that as a trial for Mondrian, so it isn't actually part of that project yet. I've built as much as I can on their existing tables, but now I have reached the limit of what I can get out of it so will need to write an ETL process to pull the data into a proper star-schema. Once i've done this I intend to release it to the Tutos people...i'll tell you if I get to this point.