PDA

View Full Version : XML/A Interface

pabloj
11-17-2003, 10:10 AM
Are there any examples/instructions on how to interact with Mondrian from an external application with XML/A?

jhyde
11-17-2003, 01:19 PM
No, the only examples are the XmlaTest class and the sample web page.
In short, you should start Mondrian up in a servlet container such as Tomcat, and send XML requests to xmla.jsp. This will parse the the request, process it, and return a response in XML. Your application should parse and handle that response.
You may be able to use a SOAP tool to convert Java objects to requests and responses back to Java objects, but I've not tried any.

pabloj
11-17-2003, 09:03 PM
I'd like to start from an article at DevX (http://www.devx.com/xml/Article/15491/0/page/1) and test the samples against Mondrian.
Do you think this is feasible?
Are you planning any further development of this interface (i.e. an add-in for OpenOffice)?

jhyde
11-18-2003, 07:33 AM
It would be great if you did a DevX article, and I'd be glad to help you with any technical issues you encounter on the way. If you could send me all of the XML requests and their corresponding responses ahead of time, I can make sure they work.
Do you plan to use the existing FoodMart schema, or a new schema? FoodMart would probably be easiest.

pabloj
11-19-2003, 02:07 AM
I'm planning to use Foodmart on MySQL.
I'll start this test in a couple of week, I have to finish a litte dwh. :-(

pabloj
11-19-2003, 02:25 AM
Another thing, I'm gonna keep a detailed log of what I'll do (which could be an interesting addition to your docs), could you please tell me what files shall I modify in order to connect to MySQL (for jpivot and for xml/a) and where shall I change path to xml files (currently they are on E:\...)
Thanks

pabloj
11-19-2003, 04:26 AM
Changes related to the post above:
web.xml
<servlet>
<servlet-name>MDXQueryServlet</servlet-name>
<servlet-class>mondrian.web.servlet.MDXQueryServlet</servlet-class>
<init-param>
<param-name>connectString</param-name>
<param-value>Provider=mondrian;Jdbc=jdbc:odbc:MondrianFoodMart;Catalog=/WEB-INF/queries/FoodMart.xml;JdbcDrivers=sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver;Role='California manager';</param-value>
</init-param>
</servlet>
for the jdbc driver. Am I correct?