PDA

View Full Version : Can i use tnsnames to connect to Oracle DB?

giyoram
04-04-2006, 02:49 AM
is there an option to use tnsnames while creating connections for ORACLE database?

MattCasters
04-04-2006, 03:07 AM
Yes, but as we're using the 10.1 JDBC client driver, you need a version 10 Net8 client.
In the connection dialog, just put the connection type to OCI.
Put the Net8 name in place of the database name. You can leave port & hostname blank.

Hope this helps,

Matt

MattCasters
04-04-2006, 03:08 AM
Oh, if you want to use (for example) an 8.1.7 client, downgrade the JDBC driver in the libext/ directory (ojdbc14.jar, orai18n.jar) to the version you find in the jdbc directory of $ORACLE_HOME on your server.

Matt

giyoram
04-04-2006, 03:52 AM
i did as you said but i get the error :

Error connecting to database: (using class oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver)
no ocijdbc10 in java.library.path

what do i need to do please?

MattCasters
04-04-2006, 03:56 AM
OK, the file "ocijdbc10.dll" (somewhere in your client's Oracle home directory), copy that one in your path somewhere. Or to be really sure, copy it to the libswt/win32 directory of your Kettle distribution.

Matt

giyoram
04-04-2006, 04:06 AM
thanks,
i copied it to the kettle directory.

but now i get a nother error:

Error connecting to database: (using class oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver)
t2cGetCharSet

can you help me?

MattCasters
04-04-2006, 04:11 AM
Google is your friend: http://forums.oracle.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=975409

giyoram
04-04-2006, 04:34 AM
thanks.

I copied the "ojdbc14.jar"
to: Kettle\libext
and replaced the existing file.
now the connection thru tnsnames works.

can you tell me what if any might go wrong in other aspects of kettle?

thanks.

MattCasters
04-04-2006, 04:42 AM
Sure, take a look at the bug trackers for a complete list of open and closed bugs.
I patched version 2.2.2 to fix the most severe bugs around (backport from development). Knock yourself out.

I have to say that with the Oracle JDBC drivers you have touched upon one of the biggest problems that Kettle has. However, as you can see from the numerous topics on the subject on the Oracle support Forums, it's really not a Kettle issue. Even Oracle tools suffer from these "connectivity hell" problems.

Most things should work fine, and if they don't check this Forum or file a bug tracker.

Good luck!

Matt