PDA

View Full Version : Disable a Step

kettle_anonymous
04-10-2006, 01:01 AM
Can we disable a step? we can disable hops, i just do not know if we can disable steps.

I think( if this is not yet implemented) that this will be helpful. When I mess up with my steps, sometimes, i need to disable some of them. Disabling a step may be more helpful in debugging.

It is like when you disable a step, the step will just act like a dummy or just do nothing.

What do you think?

MattCasters
04-10-2006, 01:58 AM
I think it's a great idea! (http://www.javaforge.com/proj/tracker/itemDetails.do?task_id=1294&navigation=true)

;-)

It's a slightly different proposal from what you suggest, but I guess in the end, we need to aim for a solution that is a generic a possible and serves the need of as many people as possible.

Thanks for the feedback!

Matt

goodiegoodman
08-12-2012, 04:35 PM
I agree, and it would be nice to be able to select multiple steps that could all be disabled at once. It would be the functional equivalent of commenting out source code: often done to test or leave trails of prior code for historical reference.

CeKo
08-13-2012, 04:54 AM
This is indeed very useful when testing a job or just running a part of your job.
In other ETL tools there is such an option available and it's so useful.

MattCasters
08-13-2012, 08:39 AM
Bulk disabling of hops downstream or between selected steps is available already.
I'm not sure that disabling a step without the hops would make a lot of sense actually.

CeKo
08-13-2012, 09:15 AM
Matt,

Thanks for response. In Talend for example if you disable a step it also disables the hop between the steps. (there is no option to disable the hop)
Does disabling the hop also disables the step after?

If I for example have a job with a flow that has multiple transformation, if I disable one hop, does this mean nothing gets executed after the disabled hop.

Regards

MattCasters
08-13-2012, 11:10 AM
In a job it would halt execution. A Kettle transformation is a network so if you would have 2 series of connected steps it would start those 2. Only disabling all steps downstream would limit the executing steps, not just disabling one.