PDA

View Full Version : Combination is throwing NullPointerException

kettle_anonymous
04-28-2006, 01:19 PM
Hi Matt,

When I try to use the Combination Update/Lookup step, I keep getting a NullPointerException caused by a '-' character apparently. I actually removed all the data that has a '-' character in the records and it is still happening? The target table also shows no '-' characters. It simply seems to do one record and then throw the exception. Any idea?

guzaldon
04-28-2006, 01:50 PM
I'm sorry I'm not matt but I wouldn't mind to try and give you a hand. I had ran into quite a few problems with resulted in getting a null pointer expection.

but we'll probably need some more informations.
Such as kettle version, os, DB as an out line of the streams. or even a cleansed ktr/xml file to check out.

but what I found out was that if you have more than one stream going into a step that doesn't have the exact same column naming and order it'll give weird errors persay.
so in gernal you probably have most things right and one spot it's looking for something that it's not getting. Typically double check inputs and outputs as well as comparing it to the db helps catch lil problems that might cause an error like this.

I'm sure matt would be able to give you some better advice but he would also probably like to know the info I requested as well.

Sorry it's kind of vage,

Nic

MattCasters
04-28-2006, 02:21 PM
This bug is under investigation, we should have a solution in the next couple of days.
"-" just means that there is no debugging information set.
A null pointer exception is obviously not something a user is supposed to see, developer stuff only.

The sad thing is that there was a patch for this problem but that some *sshole deleted it. It's a security problem on Javaforge that allows you to do these kinds of nasty things. (It's not the first time either)

HTH,

Matt

kettle_anonymous
04-28-2006, 02:42 PM
I am curious as to what bug it is, as I had a look through the bugs and it did not show up. Admittedly I did only look at un-closed bugs, so maybe that was the problem. I hope the patch comes through soon, as I am trying to complete a project for this. Is there a work-around that I can use at all?

Also, for Nic, it is not a complex transformation. I am simply testing out some simple transformations and it is simply a database table input with a combination update/lookup step with a single hop between.

shuo
05-19-2006, 07:24 AM
Has this issue been resolved yet? I'm running into the same problem.

Thank you very much,

Shuo

MattCasters
05-19-2006, 07:27 AM
Yes, it's fixed in 2.3.0

Matt