PDA

View Full Version : Pentaho Integration

kettle_wconroy
07-07-2006, 01:43 PM
I have been using Kettle for a while now and am very pleased with what it can do in the context of loading data. I want move on to extracting data and reporting. Currently I am currently using jasper reports and a JavaBean datasource and all of my logic exists in java code.

Is there a good place to look to get started on this? I am looking for specificially how to create an action that invokes a report that is built off a transform. I have been poking around the pentaho website, but there is a lot of documentation to sift through.

Should I post pentaho integration questions on the data integration forum at the pentaho site or here?

Thanks,

Bo

MattCasters
07-08-2006, 12:55 AM
Hi Bo,

It's not that bad actually. I don't know anything about Jasper, but I do know that Pentaho supports it, as well as BIRT and our own Pentaho Reporting platform (JFreeReport).
I guess the way I did it, I just downloaded the demo binaries and looked at the available reports.

There is indeed a lot of documentation available these days, but I'm sure there are also some tech tips and quick start guides around.

Matt

kettle_wconroy
07-10-2006, 05:38 AM
I watched that MySQL webinar thing they have on the pentaho site. From that it looked like they were advocating using kettle to maintain a database table then have reports driven off of the table. Is there a way to skip the database table and go straight from a transform and have report pluck fields from kettle rows?

I will continue poking around for documentation, but if you could point me specifically to something involving kettle and reporting integration, that would be much appreciated.

--Bo

MattCasters
07-10-2006, 06:22 AM
I know that in the Pentaho KettleComponent you can specify which step you want to get data from.
However, I never did these kind of things myself, you might have more luck on the Pentaho Forum for those kind of questions.
Or maybe you can try the Pentaho designer in Eclipse. That would keep you from writing the xaction XML :-)

Matt