PDA

View Full Version : Interactive Dashboard - How to

nwenzel
01-20-2007, 09:45 AM
So, I apologize for not seeing what should probably be obvious. I'm not a JSP programmer or really even a developer. I have used Brio/Hyperion Intelligence and am basing my question off knowledge of that product.

If an end user came to me and said, "I want to get access to marketing data." I would know that what they really mean is they want a front-end interface that allows them to make selections from drop down boxes and then presents them with a report in a Dashboard type of format, a printable Report, or both. They want a selection in one drop down box to cascade down to the next one so that if they select USA in one selection box, they don't then see British Columbia in teh next.

I know exactly how to do this in Brio/Hyperion but I've been doing that for 7 years now.

So, on to the question...

Where do I start in Pentaho? Which Pentaho components are required? What is required to make a front end that allows end users to make selections? What is required to make cascading list boxes? How do I get a report based on those selections (I think this is a parameterized URL call to Pentaho Reports)?

I'm not looking for the code here. I'm looking for a few sentences to point me in the right direction. Right now I don't know if all of this requires custom JSP, XML, or other similar custom development.

Thanks,
Nathan