PDA

View Full Version : From extract to dashboard

lisson01
01-31-2007, 05:58 AM
Im looking for documentation clearly describing the process from extracting to the dashboards and reporting. This should be some kind of learning tutorial containing something like the following steps:

1. How to extract data (e.g. from northwind) with data integration and storing this in a table.
2. How to create dashboards based on this table.
3. Clicking on the pie chart in the dasboard results in a report

It should contain some guidance on the link between data integration and the dasboard and th reports and some guidance on how to customize the reports and dashboard.

Is this available?

jagiaz
01-31-2007, 02:01 PM
Hello Lisson,

I want a documentation describing "How to solve the problems of one of my customers considering the way my company works and their needs with Pentaho" :)

Just joking...

You have all the documenation you need available, and you can do all you ask for with pentaho you have to use kettle, pentaho dashboards (with JSP) and any of the pentaho reporting tools (ie, BIRT or Pentaho Reporting).

Just go to the download area, you'll need time to learn all that is needed (because you'll have to learn some kettle, learn something about the dashboards, the way pentaho works, etc...) but, it can be done, and it will surely be worth it.

Best regards,
Javier Gimenez
Stratebi Business Solutions (Pentaho Certified partner but not part of the pentaho team :) )

pdavie
03-26-2007, 10:10 PM
Well, I agree with lisson01 and Javier's reply was not much use. Yes, we all know we can download and wade through the code / docs etc. But what lisson01 is asking, if I get it right, is a simple cookbook, at least an overview that is more than some pretty architecture pictures explaining how some things work in Pentaho. I am exactly in the same situation, whilst I have no problem with putting in the time, at least some idea of where to start would be good.

The best bet would be some kind of description on how the Pentaho Demo was put to together. Then each person can adapt that to how their company wants to use Pentaho ;-)
Peter

Robsteranium
04-18-2007, 08:58 AM
To be fair to Javier, the constructing of the pci (the demo) is well documented. What isn't well documented is how to change the pci - i.e. what can be changed and what can it be changed to, what dependencies will need fixing, how to track down the root cause of errors.

There isn't a gui for everything - you will need to wade into code!

Q:

1. How to extract data (e.g. from northwind) with data integration and storing this in a table.
2. How to create dashboards based on this table.
3. Clicking on the pie chart in the dasboard results in a report

A:
1. DL/ Install kettle, launch Spoon, create a transformation to get your data out of Northwind at into... well... wherever you want (I'm using MySQL which is fine in pentaho generally except that you need to define a new DS for every db schema you want to use which is rather tedious for the swt apps: Design Studio, Cube Designer, Report Designer/ Wizard).
2. Get Design Studio, load pentaho-solutions as new project, copy samples/dashboard and personalise (xactions, widget.xml, etc) copy dashboard.jsp in the pentaho.war and then alter web.xml to add a mapping for your new jsp.
3. Personalise the jsp/embedded_report.xml , .xaction and add a copy of the SampleDrill.jsp to the pentaho.war as above.

NB:
At least that's the theory. I'm still stuck on Q2 trying to get my jsp working...

Robin