PDA

View Full Version : Problems with chart creation and customization

valentinkostadinov
02-06-2007, 09:51 PM
I'm building a dashboard and trying to add a bar chart to it.

First, I attempted to create an Action Sequence in Design Studio but that seems to be buggy - when I test in the server I get exceptions (see below).

I was able to replicate the bar chart from the demo (departments.widget.xml which gets data from an action sequence) but it doesn't fit my data model and I need to customize it.

How do I customize it?

I played around with the XML file to no avail. Is this the way to do charts? If so, where can I find documentation on the XML format for charts?

In general, how are charts created and customized?

Everything I've tried seems very cumbersome and limited in terms of customization. The Report Design Wizard has a chart option but that has few options and generates the chart as part of the report. How about charts dashboards?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

java.util.regex.PatternSyntaxException: Unknown character category {e} near index 4
C:\pentaho\pentaho-solutions\
^
at java.util.regex.Pattern.error(Unknown Source)
at java.util.regex.Pattern.familyError(Unknown Source)
at java.util.regex.Pattern.retrieveCategoryNode(Unknown Source)
at java.util.regex.Pattern.family(Unknown Source)
at java.util.regex.Pattern.sequence(Unknown Source)
at java.util.regex.Pattern.expr(Unknown Source)
at java.util.regex.Pattern.compile(Unknown Source)
at java.util.regex.Pattern.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.util.regex.Pattern.compile(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.String.replaceFirst(Unknown Source)
at org.pentaho.plugin.jfreechart.ChartComponent.getSolutionRelativePath(ChartComponent.java:328)

wgorman
02-07-2007, 06:15 PM
I was able to replicate the bar chart from the demo (departments.widget.xml which gets data from an action sequence) but it doesn't fit my data model and I need to customize it.

How do I customize it?

Take a look at this wiki page for step by step instructions on customizing dashboards:

http://jira.pentaho.org:8080/confluence/display/PentahoDoc/5.+Customizing+the+PCI+JSP+Dashboard

I played around with the XML file to no avail. Is this the way to do charts? If so, where can I find documentation on the XML format for charts?

Here is a link to the documentation on charts:

http://jira.pentaho.org:8080/confluence/display/PentahoDoc/Chart+Tag+Reference

In general, how are charts created and customized?

The Report Design Wizard has a chart option but that has few options and generates the chart as part of the report. How about charts dashboards?

The dashboard and chart designer are part of Pentaho's roadmap for late 2007. Hope this helps!

Will

valentinkostadinov
02-08-2007, 05:26 AM
Here is a link to the documentation on charts:

http://jira.pentaho.org:8080/confluence/display/PentahoDoc/Chart+Tag+Reference

The dashboard and chart designer are part of Pentaho's roadmap for late 2007. Hope this helps!

Will

Thanks a lot for the response. I'm still having trouble finding a way to produce the graph I need.

So, say this is my data:
A B date
---------------
2 3 1/1/07
3 6 1/2/07

I would like to see a barchart with the date as the domain and A and B the ranges. So, for each date on the X-axis there would be two bars placed next to each other with Y-values A and B respectively.

Is this possible and how?

I've spent quite a bit of time on this and I'm beginning to think I might have to write some custom charting code besides just calling doChart.

Thank you for your help!

wgorman
02-08-2007, 10:39 AM
I would like to see a barchart with the date as the domain and A and B the ranges. So, for each date on the X-axis there would be two bars placed next to each other with Y-values A and B respectively.

Is this possible and how?

Have you taken a look at the example "Samples -> Chart Examples -> Bar Chart Example"? This example is similar to your problem, where "A" and "B" are considered part of the series, and "date" is considered the main parameter. The chart is expecting the data to be in this form:

Category Value Date
------------ ------- ------
A 2 1/1/07
B 3 1/1/07
A 3 1/2/07
B 6 1/2/07