kiki
02-14-2007, 04:02 AM
hi,
pls any one give me some coding in JSP/Mysql to do the dashboard

thanks,
kiki

nicolas_gsid
02-22-2007, 08:08 AM
Why don't you take example of SampleDashboard JSP page included int he pentaho BI Server?
I studied all thoses JSP files, and now, i'm interesting in "How to export a dasboard" (I know a JSP cannot be changed in JfreeReport but i gad one need : convert a dashboard to XLS :) i have another post about this...)

roth
02-23-2007, 03:35 AM
SampleDashboard.jsp is a nice example of how not to code jsp pages and it's pretty hard to understand. The comments are mostly useless (not all of them, but there are a lot of redundant comments, like "set width" if the documented code is "setParameter("image-width" ...)" The mix of HTML and Java doesn't help, either.

Another thing that confuses me is that all dashboard elements are created through an object called ChartHelper. It eludes me why the main parts of a dashboard would be created with a helper object, and it eludes me why something called ChartHelper should be responsible for creating dials and calling actions.

To sum it up, the SampleDashboard.jsp is only of limited help for understanding how to generate dashboards.

Thanks,
Tobias

nicolas_gsid
03-05-2007, 09:44 AM
I disagree,
I've been working a lot of time on pentaho to find what can be done or not, and the best way i found to understand what can be done or not was to read examples codes...
Problem with pentaho is : we cannot find a technical or advanced guide that says :
"you can do that,that..." and "this is not available : ..."

Tobias what is your method for : "understanding how to generate dashboards" ?

roth
03-05-2007, 10:00 AM
I made several points on what I don't like about SampleDashboard.jsp. With which of them do you disagree?

I don't generally have a problem with reading surce code when no other form of documentation is available. But only if the code is clean and variable and method names are chosen sensibly, which I think is not the case with 'ChartHelper()', for instance.

That said, I don't have a better idea about how to understand dashboards, other than reading the source and using trial and error.

Thanks,
Tobias

ingo.klose
03-05-2007, 01:40 PM
Hi Tobias,

maybe his link will help you: http://jira.pentaho.org:8080/confluence/display/PentahoDoc/Dashboard+Building

It explains how the sample dashboard works. I guess the main point is that the ChartHelper().doDial/doChart/doPieChart-functions are used to execute action sequences and display the resulting charts via a chart-definition-XML. The ChartHelper.doAction()-function executes the action sequence directly.

All the best,
Ingo

roth
03-06-2007, 02:46 AM
Hi Ingo

Yes, that helps! This document has grown quite a bit since I last looked at it (back in autumn I think).

Thanks,
Tobias

manjunath
05-10-2007, 02:49 AM
hi every one
please help me in creating dashboards, give me sample code to create dashboards,

Regards
manjunath

Choon Boon
01-19-2009, 03:00 AM
hi! may i know if there is another link to the one recommended above as i am not able to go.

or if there is any other place i can refer to regarding what files do i need to create and where do i store them to make a dash board.

Basically, how does pentaho make a dashboard work? what is the final file that is open, is it a jsp, xaction or html?