PDA

View Full Version : newbie question.

mkhettry
03-19-2007, 06:19 PM
I am looking to create a simple dashboard to evaluate Pentaho for our business reporting needs. I thought I would use an existing one (the SteelWheels SWDashboard) and hand-edit it to create my own but that seems like a tedious and error prone prcoess?

Also, what is the recommended tool for creating dashboards (Design Studio)? Also once I create a dashboard (the jsp and all the xaction/xml files that go with it), how do I package it and deploy it to the app server. From looking at the examples, the jsp file is part of the pentho.war but the images/xaction files live someplace else?

I'm sorry if these questions are silly but I have found the documentation to be not terribly helpful!

m

wgorman
03-20-2007, 05:33 PM
m,

Here is a link to Pentaho's Dashboard Documentation:
http://jira.pentaho.org:8080/confluence/display/PentahoDoc/Dashboard+Building

Currently there is no tool for dashboard design. Working from the examples is your best bet. For deployment, You'll need to deploy the pentaho.war file to your app server, along with a solutions directory that is specified in the pentaho.war/WEB-INF/web.xml file.

Will

Robsteranium
04-04-2007, 11:26 AM
When I try the above instructions the server fails to boot up. It hangs it the middle of parsing the web.xml saying that the class file for the jsp I created cannot be found. I've noticed that the other (pci) dashboard jsp pages all have a matching class file in the war.

I've duplicated/ personalised everything in the dashboard solutions folder and editted my web.xml to add in three mappings - why won't it deploy properly!?

ps. I've not created a personalised drill.jsp yet.
pps. I'm using mysql

The absence of any replies would suggest no-one cared, but I'm cross-posting my progress anyway!