PDA

View Full Version : Can't get the sample portal dashboard to work

rsmaniak
05-21-2007, 12:43 AM
Hello all,

i am reading through the documentation, specifically the dashboard building guide as i am trying to build my own portal dashboard, i have followed all the steps in the tutorial but i still can't get my filter to work....here's the error log:

5-20 23:48:30,109 DEBUG [org.pentaho.repository.HibernateUtil] Opening new Session for this thread.
2007-05-20 23:48:30,109 DEBUG [org.pentaho.repository.HibernateUtil] Closing Session of this thread.
2007-05-20 23:48:30,390 DEBUG [org.pentaho.repository.HibernateUtil] Starting new database transaction in this thread.
2007-05-20 23:48:30,390 DEBUG [org.pentaho.repository.HibernateUtil] Opening new Session for this thread.
2007-05-20 23:48:30,390 DEBUG [org.pentaho.repository.HibernateUtil] Committing database transaction of this thread.
2007-05-20 23:48:30,390 DEBUG [org.pentaho.repository.HibernateUtil] Closing Session of this thread.
2007-05-20 23:48:30,406 ERROR [org.pentaho.util.logging.Logger] Error: Pentaho 1.5.3 build 660 0
2007-05-20 23:48:30,406 ERROR [org.pentaho.util.logging.Logger] misc-org.pentaho.core.util.XmlHelper: XmlHelper.ERROR_0014 - Failed to parse XML document in FileInputStream: <filters xmlns:xf="http://www.w3.org/2002/xforms"><id></id><title><![CDATA[]]></title><description></description><help></help><action><![CDATA[/portal/auth/portal/pentaho/Simple%20Dashboard/SimpleFilterPanelPortletWindow?action=d&windowstate=normal&mode=view]]></action></xf:instance><xf:submission action="" separator="&amp;" method="urlencoded-get" id="null" /></xf:model></head></filters>
org.dom4j.DocumentException: Error on line 1 of document : The element type "filters" must be terminated by the matching end-tag "</filters>". Nested exception: The element type "filters" must be terminated by the matching end-tag "</filters>".
at org.dom4j.io.SAXReader.read(SAXReader.java:482)
at org.dom4j.io.SAXReader.read(SAXReader.java:343)

has anyone gotten the dashboard portal tutorial to work?
if so please tell me if something else, not mentioned in the documentation needs to be done, or if i am missing something, although i have followed the tutorial step by step i even downloaded a new PCI, but still i haven't been able to get it to work...

thank you all, hope you can help me...

Roger Marin

rsmaniak
05-23-2007, 10:27 PM
can anyone help me? i don't understand i have tried everything but it seems that my custom filters wont work, if i try changing the filter defined in the portlet.xml file
to another alredy defined filter like samples/portal/panel1.filterpanel.xml it will show up but everytime i try to add a custom filter it gives me an error as if it doesn't find it...where exactly do i need to define my
filters besides portlet.xml, portlet-instances.xml and pentaho-portal-object.xml?

here are my filter definitions
in portlet.xml:

<portlet>
<portlet-name>SimpleFilterPanelPortlet</portlet-name>
<portlet-class>
org.pentaho.ui.portlet.FilterPanelPortlet
</portlet-class>
<supports>
<mime-type>text/html</mime-type>
<portlet-mode>VIEW</portlet-mode>
</supports>
<resource-bundle>
org.pentaho.locale.portlet
</resource-bundle>
<portlet-info>
<title>SimpleFilterPanelPortlet</title>
</portlet-info>
<portlet-preferences>
<preference>
<name>filters</name>
<value>
samples/simpleDashboard/simple-dashboard.filterpanel.xml
</value>
</preference>
</portlet-preferences>
</portlet>

in portlet-instances.xml:

<deployment>
<if-exists>overwrite</if-exists>
<instance>
<instance-id>SimpleFilterPanelPortletInstance</instance-id>
<portlet-ref>SimpleFilterPanelPortlet</portlet-ref>
<security-constraint>
<policy-permission>
<role-name>User</role-name>
<action-name>view</action-name>
</policy-permission>
</security-constraint>
</instance>
</deployment>

in pentaho-portal-object.xml:

<!-- Specification of window containing the filter panel portlet -->
<window>
<window-name>SimpleFilterPanelPortletWindow</window-name>
<instance-ref>SimpleFilterPanelPortletInstance</instance-ref>
<region>left</region>
<height>0</height>
</window>

where else do i need to define my filter? this is driving me nuts i've been trying for 2 days already and i haven't been able to get it to work what am i missing!!!
please please help me!!!!

thank you!

Roger Marin

microdisney
05-25-2007, 08:30 PM
Hi -
Can you post your simple-dashboard.filterpanel.xml file?

Thanks.

Darrin

encikbakar
06-03-2007, 10:46 PM
hi all,

im new in pentaho...could someone help me where could i download dashboard software?what is the software name?

i cant create new post..so, i just reply here..and hopes someone can help me on this matter...

thanks..

microdisney
06-03-2007, 11:20 PM
Hi -
There is no dashboard software (not yet anyway). It is not needed. Well, ok I guess you will need at the very least eclipse and the design studio plugin or if you don't have eclipse then just download the entire design studio (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=140317&package_id=171242). Take a gander at some of the docs regarding building dashboards with Jsp's (http://wiki.pentaho.org/display/PentahoDoc/Dashboard+Building) etc. There is also a very nice tutorial on buiding portal dashboards here (http://wiki.pentaho.org/display/PentahoDoc/Developing+a+Portal+Dashboard+using+a+Filter+Panel). If you're looking for a "click and presto you're done" solution, then you are in the wrong eisle. The express lane is down the way.

Darrin

encikbakar
06-04-2007, 12:41 AM
Hi Darrin,

Thanks for the quick and good respond. It seem like can help me a lot in understanding pentaho in creating dashboard.

encikbakar.