PDA

View Full Version : [Mondrian] Integrating with any other database



Raja Nagendra Kumar
06-08-2007, 05:02 PM
_______________________________________________
Mondrian mailing list
Mondrian (AT) pentaho (DOT) org
http://lists.pentaho.org/mailman/listinfo/mondrian

Will Gorman
06-08-2007, 11:05 PM
Hello Nagendra,

Please take a look at the database compatibility section in Mondrian's
Installation Guide:

http://mondrian.pentaho.org/documentation/installation.php#7_Database_compatibility

I hope this helps!

Will

On Sat, 2007-06-09 at 02:20 +0530, Raja Nagendra Kumar wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We are looking for a solution to let Mondrian provide OLAP Support for
> the data which is stored in MySQL, Postgre or Cache
> (http://www.intersystems.com/cache/).
>
> Could you pl. provide us few pointers on how easy is it for such
> support.
>
> Do you use Hiberante or any JDO kind of technology so that Mondrian
> is agnostic about any database!
>
> or
>
> if I use proper JDBC driver, would that be enough for integration to
> happen. Do you use any MSSQL specific SQL's are do these sql's
> compatible with any RDBMS.
>
> We appreciate any inputs and roadmap details
>
> Regards,
> Nagendra
> Raja Nagendra
> Kumar
> Founder & C.T.O
>
> TejaSoft
> Innovations Pvt
> Ltd
> 17C/17,
> Sector-II, Nandi
> Gardens
> J.P Nagar 9th
> Phase
> Bangalore,
> Karnataka 560062
> India
>
>
> Work:
> +91-80-28436591
> Mobile:
> +91-9886723872
> Email:
> nagendra.raja (AT) tejasoft (DOT) com
> IM: Nagendra.Raja
> (Skype or Yahoo)
> Professional
> Profile
> "When Teja is
> tasked - The job
> gets done!! "
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Mondrian mailing list
> Mondrian (AT) pentaho (DOT) org
> http://lists.pentaho.org/mailman/listinfo/mondrian

_______________________________________________
Mondrian mailing list
Mondrian (AT) pentaho (DOT) org
http://lists.pentaho.org/mailman/listinfo/mondrian

Raja Nagendra Kumar
06-08-2007, 11:37 PM
Hi Will,

Thank you for the URL's.

Pl. let me know if my understanding is correct for the below stament.

'Mondrian can generally figure out the capabilities of the database from the
JDBC driver, and generate SQL accordingly.'

All these done by mondrian by JDBC driver api which could tell more about
sql support etc..

Are there any plans for Mondiran to use Hiberate or any other persistant
layer to achive the database inpendence in future.. Not sure if this may
have perf penality.. curious to know the road map.

Also, what if we would like to integrate to JDO complient database, where
perf could be faster due to native java objects doing the work. Has any one
done such integration in the past. if yes, I would appriciate any good
references on such work.

Regards,
Nagendra

----- Original Message -----
From: "Will Gorman" <wgorman (AT) pentaho (DOT) org>
To: "Mondrian developer mailing list" <mondrian (AT) pentaho (DOT) org>
Sent: Saturday, June 09, 2007 8:23 AM
Subject: Re: [Mondrian] Integrating with any other database


> Hello Nagendra,
>
> Please take a look at the database compatibility section in Mondrian's
> Installation Guide:
>
> http://mondrian.pentaho.org/documentation/installation.php#7_Database_compatibility
>
> I hope this helps!
>
> Will
>
> On Sat, 2007-06-09 at 02:20 +0530, Raja Nagendra Kumar wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We are looking for a solution to let Mondrian provide OLAP Support for
>> the data which is stored in MySQL, Postgre or Cache
>> (http://www.intersystems.com/cache/).
>>
>> Could you pl. provide us few pointers on how easy is it for such
>> support.
>>
>> Do you use Hiberante or any JDO kind of technology so that Mondrian
>> is agnostic about any database!
>>
>> or
>>
>> if I use proper JDBC driver, would that be enough for integration to
>> happen. Do you use any MSSQL specific SQL's are do these sql's
>> compatible with any RDBMS.
>>
>> We appreciate any inputs and roadmap details
>>
>> Regards,
>> Nagendra
>> Raja Nagendra
>> Kumar
>> Founder & C.T.O
>>
>> TejaSoft
>> Innovations Pvt
>> Ltd
>> 17C/17,
>> Sector-II, Nandi
>> Gardens
>> J.P Nagar 9th
>> Phase
>> Bangalore,
>> Karnataka 560062
>> India
>>
>>
>> Work:
>> +91-80-28436591
>> Mobile:
>> +91-9886723872
>> Email:
>> nagendra.raja (AT) tejasoft (DOT) com
>> IM: Nagendra.Raja
>> (Skype or Yahoo)
>> Professional
>> Profile
>> "When Teja is
>> tasked - The job
>> gets done!! "
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Mondrian mailing list
>> Mondrian (AT) pentaho (DOT) org
>> http://lists.pentaho.org/mailman/listinfo/mondrian
>
> _______________________________________________
> Mondrian mailing list
> Mondrian (AT) pentaho (DOT) org
> http://lists.pentaho.org/mailman/listinfo/mondrian
>

_______________________________________________
Mondrian mailing list
Mondrian (AT) pentaho (DOT) org
http://lists.pentaho.org/mailman/listinfo/mondrian

prakash tiwary
06-09-2007, 01:42 AM
_______________________________________________
Mondrian mailing list
Mondrian (AT) pentaho (DOT) org
http://lists.pentaho.org/mailman/listinfo/mondrian

Julian Hyde
06-09-2007, 01:00 PM
Nagendra,

> Are there any plans for Mondiran to use Hiberate or any other
> persistant
> layer to achive the database inpendence in future.. Not sure
> if this may
> have perf penality..

There are no plans to use Hibernate or any JDO provider. Converting data
into java objects would kill performance. OLAP access patterns are very
different from the object-at-a-time patterns supported by Hibernate/JDO.
We generate SQL to allow the DBMS to do the hard work.

> curious to know the road map.

If you're curious, the road map is online. If you're really curious,
download the code and read it. You'll see that we have an isolation
layer, centered around the SqlQuery.Dialect class.

Julian

_______________________________________________
Mondrian mailing list
Mondrian (AT) pentaho (DOT) org
http://lists.pentaho.org/mailman/listinfo/mondrian

Raja Nagendra Kumar
06-11-2007, 06:11 AM
Hi Julian,

Thank you for the code pointers.

Julian I don't understand Hibernate and JDO as some thing you mentioned as
object-at-a-time patterns (any pointers to this pattern would be of great
help.. google has nothing to say on this) .. However, I would see them a OO
way to managing the persistence and data retrieval. This would enable
programmer to deal with objects at every layer of his business needs.

Currently these layers would manage conversion 'from and to' when they are
talking to RDBM system due to the basic structural differences (relation
tables version Objects). However, in future if they were to integrate with
pure Object oriented database then, I presume that the conversion is not
necessary/or minor efforts and this should speed up the performance as
opposed to killing the performance. Pl. let me know what I am missing here.
My thoughts on this are coming from we trying to integrate the Mondrian with
Cache which is a Object Database and claims to run SQL's x times faster
http://www.intersystems.com/cache/.

Regards,
Nagendra
----- Original Message -----
From: "Julian Hyde" <julianhyde (AT) speakeasy (DOT) net>
To: "'Mondrian developer mailing list'" <mondrian (AT) pentaho (DOT) org>
Sent: Saturday, June 09, 2007 10:23 PM
Subject: RE: [Mondrian] Integrating with any other database


> Nagendra,
>
>> Are there any plans for Mondiran to use Hiberate or any other
>> persistant
>> layer to achive the database inpendence in future.. Not sure
>> if this may
>> have perf penality..
>
> There are no plans to use Hibernate or any JDO provider. Converting data
> into java objects would kill performance. OLAP access patterns are very
> different from the object-at-a-time patterns supported by Hibernate/JDO.
> We generate SQL to allow the DBMS to do the hard work.
>
>> curious to know the road map.
>
> If you're curious, the road map is online. If you're really curious,
> download the code and read it. You'll see that we have an isolation
> layer, centered around the SqlQuery.Dialect class.
>
> Julian
>
> _______________________________________________
> Mondrian mailing list
> Mondrian (AT) pentaho (DOT) org
> http://lists.pentaho.org/mailman/listinfo/mondrian
>

_______________________________________________
Mondrian mailing list
Mondrian (AT) pentaho (DOT) org
http://lists.pentaho.org/mailman/listinfo/mondrian

Julian Hyde
06-11-2007, 10:38 PM
Q. Suppose you have a fact table with 1M records, and you want to
compute the sum of the unit_sales column. What's the fastest way to do
that using Hibernate or JDO?

A. Generate a GROUP BY statement and let the database do the summing. If
you used Hibernate or JDO's features, you would end up instantiating 1M
objects in memory and almost immediately throwing them away. The
performance would be horrendous.

OLAP is a completely different pattern of data access than
Object-relational mapping, so it wouldn't make sense to build Mondrian
on top of an ORM tool. In fact, Mondrian has most of the functions of an
ORM tool - it has metadata which maps a logical model onto physical
tables, it has caching, it has a SQL generation layer which accommodates
the differences between various SQL dialects - but due to the nature of
OLAP these work in a very different way.

Julian

PS Any vendor who claims to be X times faster than the competition for
all problems is lying.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: mondrian-bounces (AT) pentaho (DOT) org
> [mailto:mondrian-bounces (AT) pentaho (DOT) org] On Behalf Of Raja Nagendra Kumar
> Sent: Monday, June 11, 2007 3:04 AM
> To: Mondrian developer mailing list
> Subject: Re: [Mondrian] Integrating with any other database
>
> Hi Julian,
>
> Thank you for the code pointers.
>
> Julian I don't understand Hibernate and JDO as some thing you
> mentioned as
> object-at-a-time patterns (any pointers to this pattern would
> be of great
> help.. google has nothing to say on this) .. However, I would
> see them a OO
> way to managing the persistence and data retrieval. This would enable
> programmer to deal with objects at every layer of his business needs.
>
> Currently these layers would manage conversion 'from and to'
> when they are
> talking to RDBM system due to the basic structural
> differences (relation
> tables version Objects). However, in future if they were to
> integrate with
> pure Object oriented database then, I presume that the
> conversion is not
> necessary/or minor efforts and this should speed up the
> performance as
> opposed to killing the performance. Pl. let me know what I am
> missing here.
> My thoughts on this are coming from we trying to integrate
> the Mondrian with
> Cache which is a Object Database and claims to run SQL's x
> times faster
> http://www.intersystems.com/cache/.
>
> Regards,
> Nagendra
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Julian Hyde" <julianhyde (AT) speakeasy (DOT) net>
> To: "'Mondrian developer mailing list'" <mondrian (AT) pentaho (DOT) org>
> Sent: Saturday, June 09, 2007 10:23 PM
> Subject: RE: [Mondrian] Integrating with any other database
>
>
> > Nagendra,
> >
> >> Are there any plans for Mondiran to use Hiberate or any other
> >> persistant
> >> layer to achive the database inpendence in future.. Not sure
> >> if this may
> >> have perf penality..
> >
> > There are no plans to use Hibernate or any JDO provider.
> Converting data
> > into java objects would kill performance. OLAP access
> patterns are very
> > different from the object-at-a-time patterns supported by
> Hibernate/JDO.
> > We generate SQL to allow the DBMS to do the hard work.
> >
> >> curious to know the road map.
> >
> > If you're curious, the road map is online. If you're really curious,
> > download the code and read it. You'll see that we have an isolation
> > layer, centered around the SqlQuery.Dialect class.
> >
> > Julian
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Mondrian mailing list
> > Mondrian (AT) pentaho (DOT) org
> > http://lists.pentaho.org/mailman/listinfo/mondrian
> >
>
> _______________________________________________
> Mondrian mailing list
> Mondrian (AT) pentaho (DOT) org
> http://lists.pentaho.org/mailman/listinfo/mondrian
>

_______________________________________________
Mondrian mailing list
Mondrian (AT) pentaho (DOT) org
http://lists.pentaho.org/mailman/listinfo/mondrian