PDA

View Full Version : AdHoc Reporting

bpair
06-18-2007, 11:33 AM
AdHoc reporting will be used for more than just reports, especially with the 'save' functionality. Therefore the output formats need to be more customizable. CSV is currently the most friendly for applications calling a saved query. However commas are very common characters and we would need to be able to substitute a different delimiter like pipe, |.

Looking farther ahead, XML would be nice. You have most the needed functionality already in place with grouping. The only additional piece would be attributes.

I would like to be able to remove output formats and have an easy way of creating new formats.

Querying a business view is great but I do not understand why the properties defined in the business view are not displayed in the AdHoc Query wizard. If I define properties they should appear so that users can see these and select the appropriate columns. The way it is now users have to know what column names they need before using the wizard.

Finally - if applications begin using the saved AdHoc queries the resultsets will be very large and memory will be an issue. I just want to make sure all of the data does not get loaded into memory.

kcruzada
06-27-2007, 10:58 AM
AdHoc reporting will be used for more than just reports, especially with the 'save' functionality. Therefore the output formats need to be more customizable. CSV is currently the most friendly for applications calling a saved query. However commas are very common characters and we would need to be able to substitute a different delimiter like pipe, |.

kcruzada>> The delimiter can be specified by adding the following to the jfreereport-template.xml file in pentaho-solutions\system\waqr:

<reportConfiguration>
<property name="org.jfree.report.modules.output.table.csv.Separator">|</property>
</reportConfiguration>

Looking farther ahead, XML would be nice.

kcruzada>> Yes. Our reporting engine already supports XML as an output. This can be done by editing the mql-template.xaction to have the option of XML when running the reports.

<inputs>
<output-type type="string">
<default-value>html,xls,pdf, xml</default-value>
<sources>
<request>type</request>
</sources>
</output-type>
</inputs>

<action-definition>
<action-outputs>
<report type="content"/>
</action-outputs>

<action-inputs>
<output-type type="string"/>
<data type="result-set" mapping="rule-result"/>
</action-inputs>
<component-name>JFreeReportComponent</component-name>
<action-type>report</action-type>
<component-definition>
<output-type>html,xls,pdf,xml</output-type>
</component-definition>
</action-definition>

You have most the needed functionality already in place with grouping.
kcruzada>> Great!

The only additional piece would be attributes.
kcruzada>> Can you expand on this? I not clear on what you are asking for.

I would like to be able to remove output formats and have an easy way of creating new formats.
kcruzada>> This could be done by modifying the .xaction that gets generated by our Adhoc reporting and editing it with design studio to suit your needs. What additional output formats are you looking for?

Querying a business view is great but I do not understand why the properties defined in the business view are not displayed in the AdHoc Query wizard. If I define properties they should appear so that users can see these and select the appropriate columns. The way it is now users have to know what column names they need before using the wizard.
kcruzada>> Which properties? Can you provide me a simple use case?

Finally - if applications begin using the saved AdHoc queries the resultsets will be very large and memory will be an issue. I just want to make sure all of the data does not get loaded into memory.
kcruzada>> When we save the adhoc queries the data is NOT being saved only the query (MQL)as an .xaction.

bpair
07-03-2007, 11:24 AM
The only additional piece would be attributes.
kcruzada>> Can you expand on this? I not clear on what you are asking for.
The attributes I mentioned are not needed if xml is an output format option.

kcruzada>> This could be done by modifying the .xaction that gets generated by our Adhoc reporting and editing it with design studio to suit your needs. What additional output formats are you looking for?
I want to create a custom format that will be a standard for my company. I would like to create it with JFreeReport and then make it a selectable option in WAQR. I do not see any documentation on how to do this.

kcruzada>> Which properties? Can you provide me a simple use case?
If I understand the metadata editor correctly you can add properties to a field - e.g. my price_close field could have property that tells the user this is the same as Bloomberg's px_close field. this information helps the user select the correct fields for the report. However in the WAQR application none of these additional properties are displayed.

kcruzada>> When we save the adhoc queries the data is NOT being saved only the query (MQL)as an .xaction.
I did not explain this very well. My server crashes if I pull back too many records from the WAQR. I have discovered this is due to two things: 1) max_rows is not being set on the WAQR 2)Scrollable resultset is used resulting in all data being stored into memory. I have posted to the testing forum for 1 and added a feature request for optionally specifying Forward_Only in an action sequence to remove the memory issue.

thanks for your response.

ddinesh
03-24-2008, 04:33 AM
Hi all,
I m new to the reporter. i want to know how can we get the report in XML format rather than in html nor pdf...

Thanks in Advance,