PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to Pentaho

Dream
06-21-2007, 03:38 AM
Hi All,

I am newbie to Pentaho. I visited the site and was glad to see the features it is providing.Here is my question -

I am interested in all the features it is providing. So do Pentaho provides a common GUI for Kettle, Mondrian, JFreeReport, DashBoards etc...
I mean to say if there is a common GUI for accessing these tools?
Or I need to install these separately and integrate them with Pentaho Server.

Thanks in advance

bugg_tb
06-21-2007, 04:29 AM
Hey Dream,

Kettle and the Mondrian designer are separate apps at the moment, but the rest of the bit you mention are incorporated into a Jboss Portal(by default) This isn't fixed in stone and you are more than welcome to integrate parts of the reporting system into different frontends but you will have to do a lot of the leg work yourself

mtarallo
06-24-2007, 08:14 PM
Hello Dream,

Just to add some additional information. A few other developer tools such as the Report Designer and the Design Studio are desktop products that run on Windows and Linux and deploy solutions to the Pentaho BI Server. Most of the GUIs do share a common interface so there is a relative look and feel to each product. They are only getting better as time goes on.

These tools deploy to the Pentaho BI Server which can run on any Java Application Server and integrate with many portals.

For example, the Pre-configured Installation of the Pentaho BI Server is ready to go with Jboss as the app server. There is an example of a Portal interface using Jboss' portal and Pentaho's dashboard like interface.

Regards,

mtarallo