PDA

View Full Version : MetaData Editor Mac OSX findings

zach
06-25-2007, 04:51 AM
Hi this thread is intended to highlight what might be OS X specific issues.

First things first.
I was able to use the Metadata editor to connect to a MySQL database of non sample data, define a business view, deploy it, and run a report in WAQR. (The report was even ridiculously long because I didn't have any appropriate filters on the data > Over 100,000 rows returned to the WAQR web front-end - it did take a few minutes).

Some general comments.
1. The metadata editor is really coming along look, feel and functionality wise. My initial BV was very preliminary and some of the bugs I ran into prevented me from doing some advanced things, but overall I am very impressed.
2. The documentation supporting the metadata editor has really impressed on me the power that will be available in the tool as well as some of the early limitations. I think overall it is also quite good and was especially impressed with the "Metadata Technical Concepts Overview" - a good place to go if you have a basic understanding of what meta-data is, but aren't sure of the language or how it is going to be actually deployed and discussed in the pentaho platform, though not for the faint of heart.

I am running Mac OS X 10.4.10 - Intel processor
java version "1.5.0_07"

I will put each of the issues I found in a separate Thread

zach
06-25-2007, 04:54 AM
Running:

Mac OS X 10.4.10
Firefox 2.0.0.1
MySql 5.0
Java 1.5.0_07

2007/06/25 15:06:46:537 EST [ERROR] MQLQuery - MQLQuery.ERROR_0010 - Exception occurred in fromXML <org.pentaho.pms.core.exception.PentahoMetadataException: MQLQuery.ERROR_0007 - Invalid Domain Type null>org.pentaho.pms.core.exception.PentahoMetadataException: MQLQuery.ERROR_0007 - Invalid Domain Type null
at org.pentaho.pms.mql.MQLQuery.fromXML(MQLQuery.java:445)
at org.pentaho.pms.mql.MQLQuery.<init>(MQLQuery.java:87)
at org.pentaho.pms.editor.MetaEditor.loadQuery(MetaEditor.java:3571)
at org.pentaho.pms.editor.MetaEditor.<init>(MetaEditor.java:312)
at org.pentaho.pms.editor.MetaEditor.main(MetaEditor.java:3361)

It looks like the domain is not created when I start in OSX

This error also occurs when I restart the metadata editor after I have created and saved a new domain.

This error doesn't seem to cause any problems.

zach
06-25-2007, 05:03 AM
Can't edit “String” in the Property Editor box. This happens throughout the application.

I got a similar error in an older version of Kettle. I was able to work around this error by hitting “Return” once the box was highlighted and then using the “Tab” key to navigate. This workaround does not work in the metadata editor.

zach
06-25-2007, 05:06 AM
1.Relationship dialog box opens really large
2.Complex Join “Tick box” not viewable
3.Complex Join expression box not editable