PDA

View Full Version : Metadata - Used?

codek
07-05-2007, 05:56 AM
Hi,

Does anyone use the metadata side of pentaho? It seems that this side of the forum is very very quiet, so either it works and just does it's job, or no one uses it in production?

If so what are your experiences, and how exactly does it fit in with your solution? We're trying to work out what it can do for us, and how if at all we should use it. We're thinking of combining it with new views in the DB.

Thanks,
Dan

MattCasters
07-05-2007, 08:41 AM
I seriously hope nobody is using it in production since we're still developing Pentaho Metadata :-)

acarr
07-12-2007, 12:50 PM
Hi,

Does anyone use the metadata side of pentaho? It seems that this side of the forum is very very quiet, so either it works and just does it's job, or no one uses it in production?

If so what are your experiences, and how exactly does it fit in with your solution? We're trying to work out what it can do for us, and how if at all we should use it. We're thinking of combining it with new views in the DB.

Thanks,
Dan

We are using it as a medium to contain metadata used to generate transforms and natural language queries. It has a few issues.

codek
07-17-2007, 08:39 AM
Ok, it wasnt clear that metadata is new and not yet in production. I'll rescind the poll then!

MattCasters
07-18-2007, 04:31 AM
We just released version 1.5 Milestone 5. Once we have an RC1 (Release Candidate 1) you will be pretty sure that there will be no major changes anymore.
Then we do bug-fixes only to stabilize the software, with an RC2 and if needed an RC3 and RC4. (probably not)
I don't know the exact when the GA (general availability) version is scheduled to be released, but it's probably going to be in 2007Q4.

All the best,

Matt

dogfuel
07-18-2007, 06:45 AM
Not using it in production yet but (like others, I'm sure), waiting on a GA release. This will be very valuable - After I overcame my notion that it was a semantic layer for reporting, I realized how powerful and useful this will be and how many documents and diagrams this will replace ....

MattCasters
07-18-2007, 02:19 PM
Yes, well that's the idea ;-)

We're putting support for Pentaho meta data into report designer, report design wizard, we have a new dashboard designer in development based on it, etc. All open source :-)
For the time being it flies under the radar, but I'm sure it will be big when we release it later this year.

Cheers,

Matt

ElkinsEcon
07-25-2007, 05:47 PM
Matt,

Are you planning to capture ETL process metadata from Kettle such as:
1) Data Lineage (Traceability)
2) Latency (e.g., time of last ETL job run)
3) Quality (e.g., #, % of rejected rows in last ETL job run)

Will you be making any provision for the import of business metadata (business names, descriptions, business rules for calculating metrics) from data modeling tools or other sources (e.g., spreadsheets, CSV files, etc.) to be able to resuse it in the "semantic layer" of the BI Server?

If you have written a white paper related to your work on this, I'd love to read it!

Steve Elkins

sboden
07-25-2007, 05:56 PM
Matt is out of the building for a week or 2 :D ... so don't expect a quick answer.