PDA

View Full Version : Query Builder with Pentaho

jagbalan
07-19-2007, 12:21 AM
Hi, before spending time on evaluation I want to make sure that Pentaho has options to achieve my requirement. The requirement is like this.
There should be a a web page where the user can traverse through the datamodel (a abstract db layer) and select fields and is able to declare some query conditions. This should be saved in some format which the system would use at a later point of time to retrieve the data associated with that query condition. Now, below are my doubts

1. Will pentaho provide dynamic report handling?
2. Are there API's that can show the SQL corresponding for a report?
3. In format does Pentaho store it reports?
4. Will it be possible through the Java API to retrieve data that gets associated with the report query?

It will be very useful to have this knowledge before proceeding with an prototype. Thanks in advance.

jagbalan
07-20-2007, 01:57 AM
Is this the right place for this thread? Please advice if this has to be placed somewhere else?

dmoran
07-20-2007, 11:05 AM
The BI Server and Platform forum would be a better place to post this type of question:
http://forums.pentaho.org/forumdisplay.php?f=73

1. Will Pentaho provide dynamic report handling?

In the latest version of the server, 1.5.5, there is adhoc query and reporting. I think this will satisfy your dynamic requirement. For the end user it is simple drag and drop the columns for the report, select grouping, filtering etc. For this to work, someone knowledgeable about the data is required to set up the metadata using the metadata editor. The reports that people build are stored as XML in what we call "Action Sequences" and when run, are executed by the server.

The Metadata editor guide has an overview that you may find useful:
http://wiki.pentaho.org/display/studio/Pentaho+Metadata+Editor

The 1.5.5 build is a milestone build. It is stable but not production quality. The first Release Candidate is scheduled for 8/3/07 and a GA version is usually available in 4 to 6 weeks after RC. The Release Candidates versions are stable enough that we offer support on them.

2. Are there API's that can show the SQL corresponding for a report?
There are API's on the server that can show the SQL - It is not directly available to the end user but you can create custom components that can be called by the action sequence and they would have access to the SQL.

3. In format does Pentaho store it reports?
The Pentaho platform uses XML to store all definitions including reports

4. Will it be possible through the Java API to retrieve data that gets associated with the report query?
By writing or modifying server components (Java API), you can access to all the data, query etc

Doug

jagbalan
07-23-2007, 06:25 AM
Thanks Doug for the reply.

What would be the license under which the release you mentioned will be available? Will it be open-source?

And with respect to your answer on data access, hope you meant the dynamic data that will be the result of each report execution. If yes, is it a matter of extending pentaho or writing something new? Hope report invocation is also possible from java.

dmoran
07-25-2007, 10:44 AM
This functionality is available in open source under the MPL: http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/MPL-1.1.html

>>And with respect to your answer on data access, hope you meant the dynamic data that will be the result of each report execution.
Each time you invoke the report it will go back to the database for data.

>>If yes, is it a matter of extending pentaho or writing something new?
Not sure what you mean here

>>Hope report invocation is also possible from java.
Report invocation is possible from Java

Doug

jagbalan
07-26-2007, 12:22 AM
>>If yes, is it a matter of extending pentaho or writing something new?
Not sure what you mean here

I was asking this because I wanted to know the amount of work required to retreive SQL and Data out of reports.

The information you have provided is very useful. Thanks a lot.