PDA

View Full Version : getting started with Pentaho

steth
08-03-2007, 05:25 AM
Hello, I'm an italian student, and I must test Pentaho dashboard for the university degree

excuse me for the english.

I must install Pentaho in a Linux Red Hat platform ... I have tryed to Install the preconfigured 1.2.1 GA version but I have see that version don't have the design studio.
I have uninstalled this version and I tryed to install the 1.5.5 Milestone but don't have the preconfigured install. I must install mysef a server to deploy this version or there is a preconfigured installation?
After the installation I must connect my platform with a Database Oracle in a remote machine ...
I have read the documentation but I don't have find anything that help me for this ...

P.S. There is another italian user in this forum?

thank you

elassad
08-03-2007, 10:46 AM
hi steth,

I hope i get your question right, so in your case you need the following steps:

1) download the PCI ( preconfigredinstall) which comes with Jboss and pentaho-solution and everything you need.
2) download the the design studio _Separately_ which is a plug in for the eclipse platform or even better, you could download the bundel.
3) connecting your server (jboss) to the orcale database is an easy task all you need to do is to create a datasource for your oracle database:
a) copy it (your-datasource-ds.xml) into /Pentaho_PCI_HOME/Jboss/server/default/deploy (if you need a sample configuration for oracle
check the doc directory of jboss there are some samples there.)
b) copy the oracle jdbc driver into /Pentaho_PCI_HOME/Jboss/server/default/lib

4) now you should be able to start jboss/pentaho and you can use the design Studio to generate report out from the database when you are done export those reports into
the pentaho-solution directory and access it via browser (after reloading the solution) note that you need to keep the Name of the datasource ( the jndi Name defined in the datasource)
since you will need it while building your reports from the design studio

good luck
Yassine

steth
08-07-2007, 10:49 AM
With PCI do you mean the demo version?!

For Example.
pentaho_demo_mysql5-1.6.0-RC1.782.zip (http://downloads.sourceforge.net/pentaho/pentaho_demo_mysql5-1.6.0-RC1.782.zip?modtime=1186425328&big_mirror=0)?

thanks Stefano

steth
08-08-2007, 05:04 AM
Ok ... I have download the pentaho_demo_hsqldb-1.6.0-RC1.782.tar.gz (http://downloads.sourceforge.net/pentaho/pentaho_demo_hsqldb-1.6.0-RC1.782.tar.gz?modtime=1186502055&big_mirror=0) and decompressed in the folder /opt.

Then I have copy in the folder /Pentaho_PCI_HOME/Jboss/server/default/lib the file ojdbc14.jar (driver for the Oracle DB).

And I have created a new file ceda-ds.xml in the folder /Pentaho_PCI_HOME/Jboss/server/default/deploy as follow:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<datasources>
<local-tx-datasource>
<jndi-name>ceda</jndi-name>
<connection-url>jdbc:oracle:thin:administrator/@<remotehost>:1521:<SID></connection-url>
<driver-class>oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver</driver-class>
<user-name>pentaho_rep</user-name>
<password>pentaho</password>
<check-valid-connection-sql>select count(*) from INFORMATION_SCHEMA.SYSTEM_SEQUENCES</check-valid-connection-sql>
</local-tx-datasource>
</datasources>

I start the server (start-pentaho.sh) and connect with the portal ...

now a question:
- how I can test the connectivity wiith the database? how can configure the datasource? there is a documentation for this?

TomaszL
08-09-2007, 05:30 AM
i have this same porblem but i bulit base in interbase by boprland and i want connect this base to pentaho.
i must copy some special driver for the interbase db?
when i connect the base to jboss and run pentaho i can create raports in raport wizard?

please help me:>

steth
08-21-2007, 09:39 AM
Excuse me, but the last week I'm on holiday!

I must configure Pentaho with my metadata database or my datawarehouse database?

And, if I must configure it with my the connection with my data warehouse database when I must configure the connection with my metadata database?

thank you!!

Stefano