PDA

View Full Version : endless problems with 1.2.0 reports in 1.6 RC2

ulrich
10-04-2007, 05:42 AM
Hello,

I tried the version 1.6 RC2, but there are endless problems with reports created in 1.2.

- some cells formerly separated now overlap
- in one report every second line is not visible in html and Excel, but only in pdf
- the BSCExpression + Colorfunction (to make a red font if passing a limit) do not work properly, some numbers are red when they shouldn't and vice versa.
- where beforehand was a line break in a label, now there isn't and the text does not fit.

Opening and saving the reports with the report designer 1.6 RC1 does not help.
With the latest build 335 I cannot even open the reports.

The reports were created with jfreereport 0.8.7, now the version is 0.8.9.

If the reporting is not backward compatible, version migrations are a nightmare!
I think a serious platform must be compatible by all means. We cannot recreate
dozens of reports each time.

Regards,
Ulrich

Taqua
10-04-2007, 06:57 AM
Can you provide some more details on what went wrong. For 0.8.9, we tested with all the reports that *we* have - however, as we generally suffer under a lack of feedback, we have no clue how our users are using the engine in the real world. So if you can provide us with reports that fail, then we can fix the engine so that these reports do no longer fail.

For the missing lines: There was a known bug in the engine that caused lines to disappear. This has been fixed in the latest release. For everything else: We cant fix bugs we are not aware of. Provide us with a bug description (and if possible an sample that shows the error) and we can start working to fix the bug. (And please dont forget to tell us exactly which version of the report-tools you use. The tools all internally use the engine, but as these tools are independent projects, they do not automatically use the new report-engine immediately. So knowing the build-number of the tool helps us to know what version of the engine is used there.)

ulrich
10-04-2007, 10:29 AM
I attach reports for the mentioned problems.
Apart from the self-explaining names, both suffer the problem that all cells should be separated by a white space but now the rows in the item band aren't. Also some header cells touch the neighbors.
The reports were created with the report designer 1.2.0 RC 1 (Build 143).

Thanks,
Ulrich

Taqua
10-04-2007, 11:30 AM
Hi,

the linebreaks inside the labels work as expected (in the latest version - but the linebreaking was bug-ridden in the older versions).

The RC2 of the platform was released in early September. At that time, we were still heavily working on the report engine, so that this thing was as buggy as possible. Grab the latest nightly builds and you'll see a version that is more suitable for your needs.

The element-size computation of the early builds was also ... funny (to put it politely; but thats why it was an early build of the reporting engine). Starting the report with a recent build makes the white space between the columns and between the header and itemband appear again.

And now I'm checking the Element-Color function thing. (To see whether this one works, I have to build a suitable data-set, so this is not as fast as slapping it into the standard test-runtime :))

Have fun,
said Thomas

Taqua
10-04-2007, 12:10 PM
And the Color-function also works. But as with the other ones: Yes, that functionality had its shares of bugs (especially as the expressions not always modified the correct report-object, so that your expression worked, the layouter worked, but still you got no valid result. That one was a lovely bug, one of those nasty beasts where you wished you had listened to your granny and had become a lawyer or politician. :)

ulrich
01-14-2008, 12:19 PM
Hello again,

I have tried against version 1.6.0 GA, and most bugs are back!
This version uses reporting-engine-classic-0.8.9-rc6.
When I replace it in the report designer with 0.8.9.2, the empty lines appear,
but neither the color function works correctly nor the line break in the labels.
I can test pdf and xls, on the html preview I get "Could not create report (Content-Processing failed)", but that is maybe due to the replacement of the libs.

Thanks,
Ulrich

Taqua
01-14-2008, 01:16 PM
Hi,

without any clear error descriptions I cant do anything. The sample reports from the earlier posts are next to useless, as the "label-linebreak-disappear.xml" file does not contain any label with a manual linebreak. As all the reports are MDX reports, I cant even build a sample to run these examples.

To hunt bugs, I need samples that are executable on my system or a description of the bug that is clear enough to build my own sample.

By default, the report engine uses the simple-table layout mode. In that mode, the right and bottom edges of all cells are removed to reduce the complexity of the generated tables. Enable the strict mode and your reports should preserve the space between the cells.

The strict-mode can be enabled in the report configuration using the config-property "org.jfree.report.modules.output.table.base.StrictLayout". (However, the strict mode was not enabled in 0.8.7-9 by default, so the cells should have been expanded to touch their neighbors in the table-exports anyway.)

If you update the report engine, you have to update all libraries from the engine's lib-directory as well. Trying to run the engine with the old libraries is a great way to cause funny new exceptions.

Have fun,
said Thomas

ulrich
01-15-2008, 12:02 PM
I tried to set the property you mention, but the design gets even worse.
Going back to the standard version of the libs, I could manage to make disappear the effect of the missing second line by reducing the message field height by two points.
No idea why, but for me that is fine.

The line break problem: there was no manual line break, but in the former version the report automatically wrapped according to spaces. I could make that happen again by increasing the field height by three points and setting wrap in Excel to true. Okay for me.

The color function works fine now. However, I would be interested in how to replace the clumsy color function by style expressions, but all my expressions are completely ignored. E.g. if I set the background color of a cell, the report contains that line:

<styleExpressions>
<styleExpression styleKeyName="background-color" expression="green"></styleExpression>
</styleExpressions>

but the cell does not have a green background.

I attach the old and new version which demonstrate the first two problems, if you are interested.

Thanks,
Ulrich