PDA

View Full Version : Logs in RC3 - Where?

pmalves
10-08-2007, 12:40 PM
I've noticed there have been changes in logging on the last week(s). Now they don't go to server.log as usual.

Even setting log4j's value to DEBUG does not return anything, I don't have any pentaho*log file anywhere. Also, I was expecting more info in server.log but nothing.

What am I missing? :confused:

pmalves
10-08-2007, 02:04 PM
The only way I was able to get the logs was by changing the main jboss-log4j.xml. It appears to be completely ignoring the other one

mlowery
10-09-2007, 09:57 AM
Are you editing the log4j.xml in pentaho.war/WEB-INF/classes? This is the file to modify if you'd like to change Pentaho logging. As far as where pentaho.log exists, try using an absolute path in log4j.xml in pentaho.war/WEB-INF/classes:

<appender name="PENTAHOFILE" class="org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender">
<param name="File" value="/home/pentahouser/logs/pentaho.log"/>
<!-- omitted -->
</appender>

pmalves
10-09-2007, 10:23 AM
Yes, that's the file I'm editing. I was expecting the PENTAHOCONSOLE to report to the server.log, but maybe it's being filtered since the main jboss level is WARN.

Even with a full path I get nothing. As if jboss totally ignores it

EDIT: Found the reason. Since the build does not include a log4j.jar on the WEB-INF/lib, the classloader does not include it. Just adding it to that dir makes it work.

I guess that, for this to work, we have 2 options: change the build file so that pentaho bundles his own log4j.xml - thus ignoring the rules from jboss; or bundle the rules on the application server's log4j rules.

pmalves
10-09-2007, 10:46 AM
the file excludejars.jboss explicitly says that log4j should not be copied, and without removing this line pentaho's log definition will always be ignored. Is this supposed to happen?

Thanks