PDA

View Full Version : Connecting Progress Database

damonbenson
10-25-2007, 09:33 AM
I had some trouble finding information on connecting my Pentaho Designer to a Progress database using JDBC connection parameters -- Here are the steps I took to complete this process:
1. Set system Progress DLC environment variable
set DLC=c:\progress\openedge
2. Update system classpath environment variable to inlcude DLC bin and java directories
set classpath=%classpath%,%dlc%\bin,%dlc%\java
3. Connect to Progress Database Administration and edit security being sure that sysprogress is defined as a valid user and has a password
4. Pentaho Connection:
JDBC Driver: com.ddtek.jdbc.openedge.OpenEdgeDriver
Database URL: jdbc:datadirect: openedge//localhost:2989;databaseName=sports2k

Damon Benson
Consultant
Bravepoint, Inc.

dragosm
10-25-2007, 01:35 PM
Hi Damon,

Can you give the error message that you get?
Creating a valid sysprogress user means that connecting to the Progress db with a progress tool like SQL Explorer which uses JDBC is possible? Trying this it can be a good point in starting to locate the problem.

Regards,
Dragos
PACO Software

bugg_tb
10-26-2007, 05:29 AM
I get the feeling that was a tip for others, there is another excellent how to here: http://forums.pentaho.org/showthread.php?t=51035

Although admittedly I still cant connect.
Anyway the more people connecting to progress the better, maybe one day they'll actually release some sort of 'free' connector and some reasonable support. (again I am using 9.1D so I can't really talk)

Cheers

Tom

dragosm
10-26-2007, 06:58 AM
Hi Tom,

I get the feeling that you are right :): looking better I've seen that in fact it was an useful tip for the community.
As it is the case with the thread you have mentioned: useful indeed.
About a free Progress DB connector, I think we will have to wait some time.

Regards,
Dragos

damonbenson
10-26-2007, 09:31 AM
Hi Guys --
No, there were no errors -- I was simply trying to give a quick and easy explanation of how I connected my Progress DB to my Pentaho designer -- I had not seen the earlier thread on this and after exhaustive searches, I still was left without concise instructions to make the connection -- The connector I used came with my Progress installation package (in the %dlc%\java directory) -- I edited the DB security using my Progress DBA tool. I was hoping to help others trying to do the same thing --

Thanks,

Damon Benson