PDA

View Full Version : 1.6GA Not attaching Attachments

bugg_tb
10-26-2007, 03:33 AM
Hi Guys,

I designed a report using RC2 and I had an issue in the emailing of the report on a scheduled basis. I upgraded to 1.6GA to try and fix the problem thinking it may have been a RC issue but it still occurs.

Basically I run the report manually and it runs a quick MDX query and dumps the data into an excel spreadsheet, it then emails me a version of the generated report. That all runs fine, but when I put it on the scheduler it refuses to email the attachment, most of the time, the email arrives minus the attachment. I haven't a clue what may cause this so if someone wiser than me can give me a hint that would be great.

Cheers

Tom

In fact playing around with it I have found in GA it appears nothing short of a restart of the server will get the attachments going again... whats going on?

bugg_tb
10-28-2007, 01:06 PM
I take it by the silence no one else has ever seen this? It's a straight out of the box installation, I can't think what would make it just stop on my installation.

Tom

Edit:

Actually looking at the logging there are a bunch of hibernate errors that pop up so I'll fix them and see if that resolves the issue.

Tom

arodriguez
10-29-2007, 04:24 PM
If after fixing your hibernate issues you continue to have problems, please attach the xaction you're trying to run. That would be very helpful in determining the cause of the problem.

bugg_tb
11-05-2007, 08:11 AM
Well... I haven't fixed the email problem, I can't work out whats wrong. I have the 1.6GA Linux release and its still not attaching attachments, I've saved the output to a text file for all to see in the hope someone can tell me whats wrong. I haven't altered it at all I've checked the pentaho_user has access to the Mysql DB which it does, I've reloaded the supplied data in the hope that would make a difference, but it does not.

So if anyone can help me this would be great, I don't want to have to be restarting the server on a regular basis :)

Cheers

Tom

bugg_tb
11-05-2007, 10:06 AM
I don't know if this has any impact at all, but I realised that wasn't a shark database generated, so I added one to my server and that cleared up an error whilst refreshing the shark workflow. Did I miss something I thought with the PDI I just loaded the SampleData sql file, or is there more to it than that? Anyway, even without the shark DB emails were still being sent(just minus the attachments), is that possible? I thought shark was the scheduler, anyway I'll see what happens

Tom

bugg_tb
11-06-2007, 04:10 AM
Well adding the shark DB did nothing, I still receive the scheduled emails without their required attachments

arodriguez
11-07-2007, 12:06 PM
As I mentioned in a previous post, it would be helpful to see the xaction you are trying to run. Since this doesn't appear to be forthcoming, I've attached 2 xactions that I believe simulate what you're trying to accomplish. I've successfully tested both these xactions on Windows and Linux. I would like to know if you can successfully execute these. Here's what needs to be done using the Pentaho Preconfigured Install (PCI):

1) Copy the attached xaction files into the samples/reporting directory of the PCI.
2) Edit MDX_report.xaction I've attached and replace "joe@pentaho.org" with your email address. I've modified the MDX_report.xaction to email the generated report as an attachment.
3) Start up your BI server.
4) Use your web browser of choice to log into the PCI.
5) From the menu bar select Go->Solutions
6) Open the Reporting Examples folder.
7) Run the "MDX Scheduling Test"

The MDX Scheduling Test schedules the MDX_report.xaction to run twice, two minutes apart. After a few minutes you should receive two emails with the report as an attachment to each. Does this work for you?

bugg_tb
11-07-2007, 12:14 PM
My fault.

I have attached an xaction, I do believe it is more likely going to be related to http://forums.pentaho.org/showthread.php?p=173705#post173705

this issue. but if you'd like to take a look I'd be greatful. Its not that the emails are generating attachments at all, its because after its been running for 12-14 hours its stops attaching the attachments for no particular reason, or like this morning for example send one and not the other(which is weird and very rare)

Cheers

Tom

bugg_tb
11-09-2007, 10:58 AM
After some rather extensive analysis and having compiled a tomcat version just to double check I have found that when mysql closes connections due to inactivity it doesn't reopen the connection, in jboss i tried <check-valid-connection> and autoreconnect. I also tried the similar lines for tomcat but it made absolutely no difference, is there anything else i can do or do I just tell sql to keep connections alive for years? ;)

Cheers

Tom

bugg_tb
11-12-2007, 08:09 AM
I now know,

The error occurs as soon as the hibernate db connections timeout
Up/down-grading MYSQL and the connector has no obvious effect
Shifting the MYSQL DB off the pentaho server has no effect
Adding an auto reconnect clause to the mysql string changes the error message to '
java.io.EOFException: Can not read response from server. Expected to read 4 bytes, read 0 bytes before connection was unexpectedly lost.'

But I still can't get the thing to work properly.

Argh

Cheers

Tom

mbatchelor
11-12-2007, 10:50 AM
Hey all,

For Hibernate and MySQL, because of this problem, we recommend you use Apache DBCP for the connections because DBCP can test the connection for validity before attempting to use it:

Forum Post (http://forums.pentaho.org/showthread.php?t=54939&highlight=DBCP&page=3)

bugg_tb
11-12-2007, 11:57 AM
Thanks for that,

I can't help but feel that the solution to this problem was rather well hidden, would it not make sense for problems that could affect people on a large scale to give them some space of their own, and not the 3rd page of a forum thread?

Thanks for pointer anyway(Its only taken days of debugging for a 10 minute answer :) )

Cheers

Tom