PDA

View Full Version : Surprising price for Spreadsheet Services

hans.barnard
12-05-2007, 06:21 AM
Hi

I have data in an Oracle database and am looking into using Excel Pivot Tables and MDX to analyse my data.

As far as I understand Pentaho Spreadsheet Services (PSS) together with Mondrian OLAP server can give me that. It will cost me at least $5000 (10 users @ $500).

Another possibility is using Microsoft Analysis Services (included with SQL Server) to connect to my Oracle database. This solution will cost me $1500 (five users).

Am I missing something? Isn't the Open Source based solution (Mondrian) supposed to be cheaper? Am I getting something more from the PSS solution?

dmohr
12-05-2007, 11:54 AM
Hello Hans,

The PSS pricing includes a Technical support contract with Pentaho for 1 year, along with 10 seats.

Rgds,
Dave Mohr
Sales Director

hans.barnard
12-06-2007, 02:20 AM
Hello Hans,

The PSS pricing includes a Technical support contract with Pentaho for 1 year, along with 10 seats.

Rgds,
Dave Mohr
Sales Director

Hi Dave

Thanks for the reply.

Do I understand correctly that I will have to pay this $5000 every year? That is even worse!

Don't you also get support from Microsoft if you buy SQL Server?

dmohr
12-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Hi Hans,
I don't monitor the forums, so if you would like to discuss this topic further - our pricing, pentaho v microsoft, etc., then please reach out to me at: dmohr@pentaho.com, and we can schedule a discussion with our Sales Representative in EMEA.

Regards,
Dave Mohr
Sales Director
dmohr@pentaho.com

crafter
12-07-2007, 01:09 PM
Please do continue discussing this issue on the public forums.

The issue of (price) comparisons with other products is ALWAYS a consideration when considering a BI deployment. Pricing is therefore a very relevant topic for many of us and we would like the input and experience of others regarding this topic.

Dave, you could choose the option to subscribe to this thread and so get updates in your inbox.

Regards
Pradesh

sboden
12-09-2007, 10:21 AM
Price comparisons are always interesting, but as far as I know no BI vendor has public list prices. If you find public prices of any vendor let me know :D , of most of the ETL vendors and some reporting vendors I have the prices but that's only after an official RFP.

Regards,
Sven

crafter
12-09-2007, 04:49 PM
Good point, Sven.

The point I was trying to make is that Hans has brought this question out to the public forum, so perhaps it's fair to keep ot in this forum.

I don't have a problem with obtaining prices on request. I too, have contacted Dave and shared discussions about pricing.

However, it is important to know how Pentaho will stack up against competing or supplemantary products. As an aspiring partner of Pentaho, I don't want to flog the product as an "open source alternative", which, admittedly carries a perception of reduced costs, only to be told by a prospective client that I'm overpriced.

sboden
12-10-2007, 03:10 AM
The perception that "open source" is free is slowly going away in the industry I think. Reduced prices, yes... but that's also slowly fading as closed source is coming down in price because of open source solutions.

For parts of Pentaho you can just take the source code and run with it if you don't want official support, IP protection. But even then free it's not, you will spend more time tweaking it than nicely packaged solutions.

Looking e.g at ETL Kettle is about 1/5 the price of other solutions to buy and about 1/2 the cost for regular support (Datastage).

As for the price of PSS... if the Microsoft solution satisfies your needs at a lower cost, why not use Microsofts? No-one is forcing you to use Pentaho :D

Regards,
Sven

gnagara
09-10-2010, 01:24 PM
The open source user community is served very well by a group of experts supporting a product, for a fee.

I wish we had such set up for other opensource products.