PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started

siandallaway
12-06-2007, 02:15 PM
I see I'm not the only person who is unable to find her way around Pentaho... I downloaded and installed the Open BI Suite to evaluate the workflow tool but cannot work out how to start. My options are "Design Studio", "Metadata Editor" and "Report Designer". Have I failed to install something? How do I run a demo? Is there ANY documentation on the basics?

ingo.klose
12-07-2007, 03:05 AM
Hi,

you mention all the designer tools, but have downloaded the actual BI Platform (Server). Source Forge (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=140317&package_id=160028). The installer or one of the hsqldb demo files should be the easiest to set up.

To get you started there is this. Getting Started with the BI Platform Guide (http://wiki.pentaho.org/display/PentahoDoc/Getting+Started+with+the+BI+Platform)

Regards,
Ingo

pentaho_fan
12-17-2007, 01:24 AM
yes ,I got the same problem! I download the "pentaho-demo" but I can't get a right start.
How to set server URL option and how pentaho work with Tomcat 5?

crafter
12-18-2007, 05:24 AM
You're not alone. This is a very common issue you raise of not knowing the starting point. The answers are scatterred here in the forum. Just spend some time looking ;)

Ingo has provided you with a useful link.

However, a good starting point should be to download the demo also pointed to by ingo.

That demo is provided with a JBoss portal. Provided you have the JRE loaded as required, installing involves extracting the archive into a directory and calling the startup file start_pentaho (for Unix-based systems at least).

If you want to use Tomcat, you need to look around for links with teh keyworks "manual deployment".

Anyways, the demo will provide the end result of the BI suite. You need to figure out which of those you need (for example the reporting tool) and then obtain the necessary tools (for example Report Designer) to create and customise your own solution.

alexvpp
01-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Hello,

I am following the steps suggested here to do a demo instalation.

On MySql database configuration, there is this instruction:

Run the mysql command in your directory MySQL Server x.x/bin:
mysql \-u root \-p \-e "source* *[Your path]**\data\SampleDataDump_MySql.sql"

In [Your path], what am I supposed to do?
It is the path to what?:confused:

Many thanks!

Alexander
www.ecossistemas.net (http://www.ecossistemas.net)

crafter
01-10-2008, 03:16 AM
Your PCI demo comes with a buiilt-in database. That should be sufficient to get you started if you are "just looking". There is no installation required other than just starting the Pentaho server (start_pentaho.sh).

If/When you are ready to do development work on the system, then the built-in database becomes impractical. If is then that you need to use an external database like MySQL.

Got that so far? Good.

To use MySQL, you must have a MySQL server and client installed on your machine and it must be running. You must run the command stated. It is important that (on a multi-user system) you run the coammand as a user that has the proper priviledges (such as root for a UNIX based system).

For the MySQL command:
-u is the user name that you want to run the command as
-p says ypu will provide a password
-e says "execute ' this SQL statement

So go to the directory where the documents suggest and run the command. as suggested. I'm not sure where you got your intstruction form but you probably won't use the '-e' flag is you are running a script file.

You will most probably have to do something like:
mysql -u root -p < \data\SampleDataDump_MySql.sql
which runs the SQL commands in the batch file data/SampleDataDump_MySql.sql

Regards
Pradesh

alexvpp
01-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Hello,

Pradesh, thanks a lot for your message, it was very helpfull.

I´d like to know something:

Is it possible to run Pentaho BI suite on a 3rd party hosting company?

If so, what are the requirements?

Thanks a lot,

Alexander.

crafter
01-10-2008, 05:57 PM
Sure. You can

You will need the Sun Java JRE 1.5 or later, plus a mysql database.

There are some notes that you need to find about changing the server's IP address from localhost to an IP address and follow that.

Perhaps others could help with that.

Regards
Pradesh

alexvpp
01-15-2008, 08:26 AM
Thanks a lot!

For Sun Java JRE 1.5 or later, do I need to install this on the server, or it is run on the user machine?
I am a bit confused with this, and installation manuals seems to be quite shallow...

Thanks a lot!

Alexander.

crafter
01-15-2008, 09:54 AM
The Pentaho BI suite is written it Java, and runs on the server.

The PCI suite is embedded into JBoss, which includes its own "web server", which allows you to access the application over the wen. JBoss is also written in Java.

Therefrore you must install the Java JRE on the server.

The user machine only needs a browser with Javascript enabled.

buddika2008
02-06-2008, 11:14 PM
can't we used tomcat :)

crafter
02-07-2008, 01:44 AM
A quick response to both Alexander and Buddika.

You need a java VM (sun java 1.6 +) , a database server (use the built in one or use an external, like MySQL) and an application server (like Tomcat) or portal (like JBoss).

As long as you have those components, you should be OK.

But wait... . If you are using other application servers or portals, then you "roll your own". There is no guarantee that all will run smoothly. So better do some reading up befor embarking on this.

hazamonzo
02-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Can i suggest that if you are looking to get started with Pentaho and you are having trouble that you join us on our unofficial IRC chat room channel. You can find us in the ##pentaho channel on the freenode network. We are always happy to help! :)

Haza

bugg_tb
02-09-2008, 06:30 AM
Now thats just a shameless plug!

Ranjeet
02-13-2008, 02:46 AM
I m:confused: very new in pentaho,

Need to work with kattle for ETL so plz plz and plz guide me so that i can work with kattle and going forward can work with pantaho,

So plz help me ASAP.

crafter
02-13-2008, 03:04 AM
The ETL component is a good place to start if you are new to Pentaho, as this create the data warehouse/mart that will form the basis of your reporting and analysis needs later.

I'm still lerning the ETL tool, but I found this helpfull:
- The ETL forum is perhaps the most active forum, so make sure you use it to post and search
- The PDI comes with a 'doc' directory. Refer to the Spoon manual. That helps
- The PDI installation comes with a 'sample' directory. Load the samples from
the spoon tool and look at what is happening there,
- Find yourself some task that you can learn from. Reading the manuals will
not help. Doing things will.
- Consult the WIKI
- Get involved in being part of the forum. I am a completre noob when it
comes to things Pentaho, but recentlly I've started to contribute to the
discussions on the forum, and that is helping ME at the same time.

A few weeks ago I was very frustrated that I was completely lost withing thePentaho suite. I cannot afford training (I'm broke, plus I live too far away from the traing venues) so my only means at this stage is all of the above

There is no magic bullet. It will take hard work, but the fact that you registered on the forum and posted your first message for assistance shows you are already on the road.

macarena
02-25-2008, 05:13 PM
Hello to everybody!!!

I have a big problem, coul anybody help me??

I have made some reports with Pentaho and these reports must be included into an own project based on Struts. How is the way to incorporate them into the Struts project?? which are the configuration files to be modified??

Thanks for your early reply!!!