PDA

View Full Version : Can you create a business table which is based on 2 physical tables?

codek
03-03-2008, 08:08 AM
Hi,

I have a table, and another table which looks up a status value for the first.

I want to create a business table which has the text of the status value from the status table, and the details from the parent table.
i.e. I want to hide the ID value.

Can metadata do this kind of thing? If not then I guess you have to build views in the database and base the metadata off those?

Thanks,
Dan

MattCasters
03-03-2008, 08:48 AM
Dan, you can obviously choose which columns to show to your end-users. (in the categories editor)
There is even a "hidden" property (boolean) that allows you to inherit these things from a parent Concept.

Matt

codek
03-03-2008, 08:52 AM
Oh i see! so you just create the tables individually then hide the ID fields.

In fact i've just seen the difference between business views and tables, and i see how it works now, it all looks good. so i'm going to publish my basic model now and see how that works with the waqr.

Thanks!

Excellent thanks.
Dan

codek
03-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Ok, so that does work - so i have my parent table, the child table, and rather than showing the ID's that link them, I can allow the user to just select the descriptive name from the child table.

However, I would still probably want to combine them into one table. This is because for one parent table we may have 5 or 6 separate lookups to these style of child tables. That wouldnt work nicely in the waqr because it would display each one as a separate group.

Does that make sense? Clearly i can very easily do this with a database view, but I hoped there would be no need to do that as this is additional maintenance.

MattCasters
03-03-2008, 12:51 PM
WAQR should show the categories, not the business tables.

You can add a business column to any of the categories you created.

Matt

codek
03-04-2008, 04:22 AM
Ah i see, I have to use the manage categories window - it wasnt clear this was how to do it. good.