PDA

View Full Version : Bringing JRubik back to life

bugg_tb
04-05-2008, 09:37 PM
Ok, being slightly crazy and clearly having too much time on my hands between answering repetitive threads on these forums I decided to fork JRubik and bring it back to life ad OLAP Query Desiger (https://sourceforge.net/projects/olapquerydesign), yeah not the best name, but it will do ;) , here's the ideas I have so far and wondered what people thought.

Basics:
Update the core libraries
Basic Bug Fixing
Sort out the Menu, its pretty bad.
Fix the translations, at the moment it doesn't even pick up the translations files.
Add the ability to initialise the model from the mdx query panel
Make it more obvious how to remove columns from the tables
Better data exports
New Connection WizardFurther down the line:
Rewrite with GWT
Add better filtering
Interactive Charts
Embedded Hyperlinks
A Basic and Advanced InterfaceThere the initial ideas, if anyone has any more let me know and I'll add them to the list. Anyone who wants to help also let me know and we can sort some stuff out ;)

Cheers

Tom

Phantal
04-08-2008, 06:22 PM
Another idea to add to the list:

:- Investigate Netvibes' OWA
:- Consider making a browser-friendly version
:- Consider making any browser-friendly version have a generic enough UI that it can be used with both OWA and as a standalone widget in other environments

-Brian

bugg_tb
04-09-2008, 01:22 AM
Another idea to add to the list:

:- Investigate Netvibes' OWA
:- Consider making a browser-friendly version
:- Consider making any browser-friendly version have a generic enough UI that it can be used with both OWA and as a standalone widget in other environments

-Brian

Erm, see below re GWT, close enough? I dunno if I quite follow your last comment but I was planning to still have online/offline mode with GWT if possible, is that what your getting at?

Tom

wseyler
04-09-2008, 09:40 AM
Maybe there is some opportunity to merge the new requirements mentioned for JRubik with the Halogen project. It offers a rudimentary implementation of many of the things that are on your list. Charts, browser friendly... etc.

Since Halogen is using Olap4J as it's underlying olap library and since Olap4J is an implementation the standard java JDBC driver it makes creating (or using a standard) connection dialog easy.

Halogen was created as a POC project and does a stellar job of demonstrating the power of GWT and Olap4J. It simply need more eyes (and contributers) on it to turn it into a robust application. Check it out at:

http://code.google.com/p/halogen/

Bill

bugg_tb
04-09-2008, 09:51 AM
Well as JRubik wasn't a bad project and pretty stable I thought it would be a good starting point, and someone had mentioned to me that they thought halogen was overly flaky at the moment but if you think otherwise I'd be happy to take it for a spin. Downloading the svn code as I type.

Tom

wseyler
04-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Flaky? Ouch... Proof of concept... yes. It's out in the wild to take it from flaky to something that is useful. But I'm willing to look at it from any angle.

Bill

bugg_tb
04-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Apologies I retract the flaky statement.

jternent
04-09-2008, 09:57 PM
You'd probably heard that the developer was flaky, not the project.

Just kidding, Bill!

bugg_tb
04-10-2008, 01:21 AM
oh that Was it. :p

hazamonzo
04-10-2008, 12:21 PM
That website was for nothing Tom?

;)