PDA

View Full Version : startup workload for a newbie

bitdoger3
04-09-2008, 02:49 PM
we already have a jboss server up & running..i'm designing a DataWhse (i'm an DBA), and i will do my own ETL (probably using RUBY 's datawhse ETL objects since i already know ruby)...what else do i need to do to get our end-users able to do Pentaho BI...do i need eclipse?... how much Java programming do i need to do...do I use MySQL database or Oracle?...what is the most hassle free path...thanks...dave

bugg_tb
04-09-2008, 02:53 PM
we already have a jboss server up & running..i'm designing a DataWhse (i'm an DBA), and i will do my own ETL (probably using RUBY 's datawhse ETL objects since i already know ruby)...what else do i need to do to get our end-users able to do Pentaho BI...do i need eclipse?... how much Java programming do i need to do...do I use MySQL database or Oracle?...what is the most hassle free path...thanks...dave

1) I strongly suggest you check out Kettle, its probably pentaho's strongest end user app and is designed to make your ETL life nice and easy

2) End users only need a web browser, once you have a server up and running all reports are served through JBoss and whichever browser your clients decide to use.

3) Java programming, well you can get by with none, or as much as you want to hack the system.

4) Use which ever database you feel comfortable with, as long as there are jdbc drivers your good to go.

Tom

bitdoger3
04-09-2008, 03:00 PM
apart from the data whse etl stuff...what supplemental software do i need? what's the role of Eclipse? ..what other startup tasks are there?? any documentation on these tasks??? thanx..dave

bugg_tb
04-09-2008, 03:02 PM
There's plenty of documentation check my signature :P

Well for a test drive you should fetch one of the installers from the download page to make life quick and easy to get started. You will also need the various editors to make report generation easier, namely the Report Designer, Eclipse Editor stuff and is you fancy a stab a Mondrian you will need the Cube Designer.

That should get you started.

Tom

dherzog
04-15-2008, 01:35 PM
Dave-

I'm using a production MS SQL 2K server for a back end.

Steps I took:

1. download Pentaho. Extract.
2. Configure hostname (so users outside localhost can see it)
3. Configure JNDI datasources
4. Build XACTION's (This is where Eclipse comes in)
5. Once I had XACTION's under my belt, built reports using Report Designer
6. Got reports working; added users/security.
7. Built dashboards (required XACTIONs, and JSP scripting; I understand there are better ways to do it)
8. Built a Mondrian cube using the Cube Designer but found limited usefulness to my userbase (good tool; just no need in my situation)

Note that you can build XACTIONs and reports by hand (they're written in XML). It sucks and is error prone but it can be done, so you don't "need" Eclipse or any other software (except a text editor) per se. They just make life a lot easier.

Regarding Documentation: As Tom (and his sig) says; there is a vast Wiki and the forums address most startup challenges.

-d-