PDA

View Full Version : Pentaho in big companies?

le__roi
04-21-2008, 03:25 AM
Hello,

At this moment i am doing a research about open source BI for the company i am working for. The only problem right now is one question:

We are implementing BI software in very big companies with a lots of databases and a large amount of data. How does pentaho deal with very large volumes of data? for example, could a big bank use pentaho software for its critical processes?

So, Pentaho works very fine with a relative simple database, but how does it work with multiple very big databases?

Thank you for your opinion in advance

Regards,

Roy Staal
The Netherlands

bugg_tb
04-21-2008, 03:48 AM
Hello,

At this moment i am doing a research about open source BI for the company i am working for. The only problem right now is one question:

We are implementing BI software in very big companies with a lots of databases and a large amount of data. How does pentaho deal with very large volumes of data? for example, could a big bank use pentaho software for its critical processes?

So, Pentaho works very fine with a relative simple database, but how does it work with multiple very big databases?

Thank you for your opinion in advance

Regards,

Roy Staal
The Netherlands

Well Pentaho will handle large datasets but it basically depends on how you set it up. Set up your warehouse in a manageable fasion and pentaho will sort out the data properly, setup a bad warehouse and your reporting wil become trickier. The limitations generally aren't with pentaho but more with the backend servers and the limitations of the database you choose to work with, bear in mind that none of this is governed by Pentaho as long as it has a JDBC driver. Again working with very big databases is purely down to the indexing you provide or the cubes you design to work it your database.

Tom

jternent
04-21-2008, 10:25 AM
This is very much the standard reaction to open source, period -- that it's great for samples, or development, but that it's no good for big, real, solutions. Hopefully some of the cases illustrated here (http://www.pentaho.com/about/customers/) can answer your question. As Tom pointed out, the better the underlying data services, the more robust the BI solution can be, but there are many examples in addition to the ones listed of customers running Pentaho against enterprise-class BI problems.

Hope this helps,

John