PDA

View Full Version : CWM Interoperability

cblanco
05-27-2008, 09:01 AM
Hello guys,

I was checking for open source tools that can manage metadata and I already found Pentaho Metadata. It's seems to be a great tool, congratulations guys, but I have some questions about the possibilities that the application has to interoperate with other tools CWM compliant. The questions are:

- Are there any documented interoperatibility between Pentaho and other CWM tools (Cognos, Db2, OWB)???

- Is it possible to manage ETL metadata in Pentaho? I mean, metadata of an CWM compliant ETL tool?. Is it possible with Pentaho Kettle Metadata?

- Do you concibe this tools as some kind of CWM Hub?. I mean, use it for import, modify and export metadata from different tools? (not only pentaho suite)?

Thanks a lot

MattCasters
05-27-2008, 09:38 AM
> Are there any documented interoperatibility between Pentaho and other CWM tools (Cognos, Db2, OWB)???

No. OWB is an ETL tool that just dropped CWM support. It was pointless anyway :-)

> Is it possible to manage ETL metadata in Pentaho? I mean, metadata of an CWM compliant ETL tool?. Is it possible with Pentaho Kettle Metadata?

Storing ETL metadata in CWM doesn't make any sense. That's the reason why nobody is doing it anymore.

> Do you concibe this tools as some kind of CWM Hub?. I mean, use it for import, modify and export metadata from different tools? (not only pentaho suite)?

No, we just picked CWM because it was a standard. We always want to go for standards and be as open as possible. Unfortunately, the "other" tools you mentioned have no such interest.

Matt

cblanco
05-27-2008, 11:09 AM
Thanks a lot Matt for the quick answer :)

Best Regards

deepaks
02-23-2009, 08:43 AM
Hello Matt,

I have been working on ETL tool interoperability, using CWM since last 1.5 years.
We have worked on OWB, stored its metadata in the CWM repository and retrieved it back successfully.We are planning to start working on Pentaho's Kettle to achieve our objective of tool interoperability by storing its metadata into CWM and retrieving it to use it in OWB.
We happened to read your comments on the CWM Interoperability and wanted to know the feasiblity of accomplishing our task i.e. to persist Kettle's metadata into CWM repository. Could you please tell us what kind of challenges we can come acrosss and the approach we should be taking for it.

We have gone through the exported XML structure of Kettle transformation and felt that the information is not sufficient for our requirement. For instance, it does not specify the columns of the target table (means target table does not have SQL tag).

I would really appreciate your time and effort.

Thanks,
Deepak

> Are there any documented interoperatibility between Pentaho and other CWM tools (Cognos, Db2, OWB)???

No. OWB is an ETL tool that just dropped CWM support. It was pointless anyway :-)

> Is it possible to manage ETL metadata in Pentaho? I mean, metadata of an CWM compliant ETL tool?. Is it possible with Pentaho Kettle Metadata?

Storing ETL metadata in CWM doesn't make any sense. That's the reason why nobody is doing it anymore.

> Do you concibe this tools as some kind of CWM Hub?. I mean, use it for import, modify and export metadata from different tools? (not only pentaho suite)?

No, we just picked CWM because it was a standard. We always want to go for standards and be as open as possible. Unfortunately, the "other" tools you mentioned have no such interest.

Matt

MattCasters
02-23-2009, 02:40 PM
We don't have ANY reason to write to CWM. There is no interoperability in ETL tools. None at all.

The XML that Kettle generates are quite readable though.

Take care,
Matt

deepaks
02-24-2009, 01:45 AM
Thanks for the fast reply...
Just wanted to know 1 more thing, do you have a schema(XSD) for the xml which is generated by Kettle.

Thanks...

MattCasters
02-25-2009, 02:24 PM
No we don't. It's tricky given the plugin architecture.