PDA

View Full Version : ODBC error message

odoardi
05-28-2008, 03:42 AM
Hello all,

I begin with Pentaho.
I'm IT Manager and my factory search a reporting tool.

Version :
- Metadata 1.6.0.GA.162

Error message :
1) If I click on TEST connection, it works
2) If I click on Explore I received the following message:
"Unable to retrieve database information because of an error

Error getting views from schema [null]
Column not found"

In the forum I found several post with ODBC problem but no solution.

Thanks for your help.

bugg_tb
05-28-2008, 03:55 AM
How are we supposed to answer a question with a description like that? You need to describe the situation and problem in much more detail.

Tom

Taqua
05-28-2008, 04:20 AM
And of course, ODBC might not be the best thing to start with. Almost all database vendors provide JDBC drivers for their systems, which are the native database access method for Java. So you might want to switch to a JDBC driver instead.

ODBC access is done using a generic mapper that maps JDBC into ODBC calls. This idea is fun, but has some major flaws: (1) It assumes that JDBC is well defined. (2) It assumes that ODBC is well defined. (3) It assumes that the ODBC driver fully complies to the ODBC standard and has no bugs at all. Both xDBC standards are so huge that a human mind cannot fully comprehend all aspects of it. The specifications for both standards are in some critical points very unspecific (which has to do with the fact that there is no generally accepted SQL-Standard) and therefore both standards leave enough room to behave strangely and still be able to claim xDBC compatibility.

So do yourself a favor and eliminate a possible source of bugs and use the JDBC drivers, if they are available. Your life will then become a lot easier.

odoardi
05-28-2008, 05:43 AM
Hi,

it' not possible to use a JDBC driver.
The main connection has to be with the native Navision database and I didn't find any JDBC driver for this database.
The only way to have a connection is an ODBC one.

If you need more details to find a solution, do not hesitate to ask.

Version :
- Metadata 1.6.0.GA.162
- Windows server 2003 for the database, Windows XP for Pentaho.

Error message :
If I click on Explore I received the following message:
"Unable to retrieve database information because of an error

Error getting views from schema [null]
Column not found"

Log View:
2008/05/28 14:04:52 - LocalVariables - ---> Create new KettleVariables for thread [ModalContext] for parent thread [main], same namespace? [true]
2008/05/28 14:04:52 - Navision - New database connection defined
2008/05/28 14:04:52 - Navision - Connected to database.
2008/05/28 14:04:52 - Navision - ERRORError getting tablenames from schema [null]
2008/05/28 14:04:52 - Navision - read :0 table names from db meta-data.
2008/05/28 14:04:52 - Navision - Connection to database closed!

Thanks in advance for your help.