PDA

View Full Version : Forum Overcrowding/Tidying Up

bugg_tb
07-15-2008, 05:22 AM
I don't know about the rest of the community but I feel the forums are a little overcrowded which doesn't help with finding answers and knowing where to post questions, so I propose some tidying outlined below:

General Forums
About Pentaho
Agil BI
Community DiscussionsCommunity Events
Development Sprints(hidden from general public, lots of questions seemed to get asked here for no real reason)
Project News
Feature Requests
Solution Exchange(Delete, the idea is good but it serves no real purpose)
Testing
BI Server and Platform
BI Server and Platform
Installation Issues(Merge with BI Server and Platform)

Action Sequence EditorReporting
Pentaho Reporting Classic
Pentaho Reporting (0.9)
Reporting Designer and Wizard
WAQR
Other Reporting EnginesAnalysis
Mondrian
Mondrian Mailing List(Keep in forums but remove from front page if possible)

Pentaho Cube Designer
New Analysis Client Tools(Move to Community Projects)Data Integration
Pentaho Data Integration
Metadata
Kettle Mailing List(Keep in forums but remove from front page if possible)
Dashboards
Pentaho Dashboards
Dashboard Designer(Remove until such a thing exists)
Data Mining
WEKACommunity Projects (Move all sub forums off the front page)
Maven
JBoss RulesWorkflow
Pentaho Workflow(Remove from forums)
Documentation
Documentation(Remove from forums)
Internationalization
Put your favourite language here(Keep but move off the front page)
Pentaho Blogs
Put your favourite blogger hereOk so there are my ideas to try and make the forums less cluttered and easier to navigate, what do you guys think?

Cheers

Tom

pmalves
07-15-2008, 05:46 AM
100% agree.

On the case of the bi platform, I'd merge everything into one. The actionsequence subforum is hardly used at all.

Lot's of forums make user post on the wrong places, most of the time

dmoran
07-31-2008, 08:47 AM
I think it's a good idea - I'd like to see more comments from the community.
What do you think?

codek
08-01-2008, 03:27 AM
I agree! :)

hazamonzo
08-19-2008, 11:56 AM
Yeah. I have to admit ive lost much hope with the forums recently because of the mess.

A cleanup is a great idea.

Harris

Maria Roldan
08-19-2008, 12:22 PM
I have one comment about bugg_tb's proposal:

Internationalization (Keep but move off the front page)

The head of the forum says "Discussion for * members to participate in translation".
The Internalization sub-forums (in particular the Spanish and French ones) are quite active, but the 99% of the posts have nothing to do with translation. They are regular forums, not written in English but in other languages. So I propose give them the right name, or create separate forums, one for each language.

Another comment:

Metadata - I thougth that the metadata was used exclusively for the ad-hoc reporting.
If so, why the metadata forum is in the data integration Category, and not in the reporting one? That confuse me. Maybe I'm not understanding the purpose of the metadata forum.

bugg_tb
08-19-2008, 01:40 PM
Well there is a distinct difference between WAQR and Metadata, i see where you're coming from but I'm not too sure. About the international forums I agree, but at the same time there's about 1000 different languages listed and whilst some are used daily, some have never or very rarely seen a post.

Anyway thanks Maria glad to see you taking part in my little survey ;)

Tom

Peter Schmidt
08-19-2008, 03:11 PM
What is meant by Action Sequence Editor? Do you mean Design Studio?

Perhaps a different layout, I believe more closely aligned with the products could be as follows:

Reporting
- Report Designer
MetaData
- MetaData Editor
DesignStudio
Data Integration
Modrian
- Schema Workbench
Open BI Server
Dashboards (I'd keep as there is always alot of activity around this - partly because this functionality is not robust)

-- Peter

codek
08-20-2008, 04:11 AM
As bugg says Metadata isnt exclusive to waqr. It's now used across the whole platform... So I can see good reason to keep them separate - but only if the number of posts is enough.

However I agree that it doesnt really sit under data integration. Probably should be under platform.

Of course there'll always be scenarios where people can't identify whether a problem is in waqr or in the metadata itself, or even in the reporting engine.

dareni
09-04-2008, 01:41 AM
Yeah. I have to admit ive lost much hope with the forums recently because of the mess.

A cleanup is a great idea.

Harris

I'm new to mondrian and just went to http://mondrian.pentaho.org/documentation/developers_guide.php to follow the instructions for downloading the source and had a problem with p4 checkout on linux.

I solved my problem and was going to update the instructions for p4 on linux and realized the doc is not in a wiki(or is it) and not updateable by me. Probably a good idea to move doc into the wiki so it can be maintained. We should be using the wiki to find answers to simple problems and the forum as a backup.

Here is a command line example for linux because ./p4 help does not work on its own with no config! A few quick examples save having to read a manual.

./p4 -p perforce.eigenbase.org:1666 help
./p4 -p perforce.eigenbase.org:1666 -u guest client
./p4 -p perforce.eigenbase.org:1666 -u guest sync //open/mondrian/...

Do I need permission to post on the Mondrian mailing list?
Was going to post against a call from yesterday 'SVN location'
My posting rules are:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts

bugg_tb
09-04-2008, 03:21 AM
No, to post on the mailing list, you have to sign up to the er mailing list, this is just an archive of them

Tom

tdidomenico
09-04-2008, 12:20 PM
Internationalization (Keep but move off the front page)

The head of the forum says "Discussion for * members to participate in translation".
The Internalization sub-forums (in particular the Spanish and French ones) are quite active, but the 99% of the posts have nothing to do with translation. They are regular forums, not written in English but in other languages. So I propose give them the right name, or create separate forums, one for each language.

I have to add my vote to Maria's proposal here. The Spanish internationalization forum is basically grouping all kinds of Pentaho related questions in Spanish.

I understand that replicating the full structure for each language would be impossible, but maybe we could:

Create some kind of smaller structure for the most popular languagesOR
Open the forum in general to all languages and write some tutorials on its structure and usage (of course, in as many languages as possible)Coming to think of it, a good tutorial in a very easy to find spot would be useful in any case. I volunteer to help out with the Spanish stuff (English too, but there are probably more qualified individuals up for that task), and I'm pretty sure Maria would jump in (sorry if I'm dragging you in against your will Maria ;))

Maria Roldan
09-04-2008, 12:31 PM
todo bien, tomás! :p

I would vote for the first option. The second one, in my opinion, would be a potential babel-forum.

mc

tdidomenico
09-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Aye, that would be my preference too. Now let us be enlightened by the moderators :D

bugg_tb
09-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Well I have it on good authority, well ok the grape vine, that the forums well be overhauled for the release of Pentaho 2.0, hopefully that means more than a mass archiving ;)

Keep the suggestions coming

dmoran
10-08-2008, 09:12 AM
With the latest SPAM attacks we need to upgrade vBulletin which will require some rework and testing. This is also a good time to do this reorganization. Are any of you able to volunteer with this effort? We especially will need help with the non English forums. I like the idea of adding product specific sub forums to them since some of them go way beyond internationalization. Please respond to this thread if you will help and what forums you are most interested in.

Doug

tdidomenico
10-08-2008, 10:21 AM
Yep, I'm in.

Cheers!

Maria Roldan
10-09-2008, 08:29 AM
I'm too.
Tomas, we could work together in anything related to the Spanish Forum,

mc

tdidomenico
10-09-2008, 11:35 AM
We certainly could :D

dmoran
10-15-2008, 04:23 PM
Hey Everybody,

I have been looking at our forum structure, your comments and other open source projects. I have a proposal based on having less forums and less groupings. The groups are based more on role/task than product. User questions, developer topics, community projects, non technical and international. The moderators for each international forum can decide what the sub forum breakdown they want.

It makes the forum count go from 43 forums in 13 groups to 30 forums in 6 groups. I ran it by Matt, Thomas, Julian and Mark H and they are ok with this structure.

Give me some feedback and I think we can get this moving next week. I am also proposing the descriptions that go along with the forums to help make it more clear what gets posted where. I appreciate any comments on the descriptions too.

Doug

Pentaho Users
Questions and discussions related to evaluating, deploying, administering, and using prebuilt Pentaho applications . This includes creating content such as reports, transforms, schemas, etc. It does NOT include development topics like contributing or building from source.

BI Platform: BI Server (PCI), Pentaho User Console, Admin Console, Solutions, Design Studio, xactions...
Dashboards: JSP/AJAX Dashboards, Google Maps, Widgets, Portals...
Reporting: Report Designer, Adhoc reporting, designing reports and charts, publishing to server...
Pentaho Data Integration [Kettle]: ETL jobs, ETL transforms, Spoon, Carte...
Metadata: Pentaho Metadata Editor, MQL, Publishing...
Analysis [Mondrian]: Configuration, Schema Workbench, OLAP4J, Spreadsheet Services, Aggregation Designer, JPivot, Halogen...
Data Mining [WEKA]: Configuration, algorithms, classification, regression, clustering, association rules, visualization...

Pentaho Developers
Questions and discussions related to building from source, modifying code, creating components or plugins, deployment into new environments,
contributing to the open source projects etc.

BI Platform Developer: Dev and build topics related to integrating Pentaho applications, creating platform components, Design Studio, commons projects...
Reporting Developer: Dev and build topics related to reporting, adhoc reporting, embedded reporting, classic and flow engines...
Kettle Dev Mailing List: Dev and build topics related to creating Kettle Plugins, Spoon, Kettle Engine, Carte, Metadata...
Mondrian Dev Mailing List: Dev and build topics related to Mondrian Engine, Schema Workbench, OLAP4J, Spreadsheet Services, Aggregation Designer, JPivot, Halogen...
WEKA Developer: Dev and build topics related to WEKA

Community Projects
Projects sponsored and maintained by the Pentaho community. These projects are not currently supported by Pentaho but may eventually become official
projects based if they gain enough community support.

Other Reporting Engines: Using and deploying Jasper Reports and BIRT
New Analysis Client Tools: Halogen, JPivot mods, JRubik etc.

Non Technical
General questions about Pentaho, the Pentaho community, open source, development methodology...
No technical product questions!

About Pentaho: Topics related to Pentaho Corporation, open source business model, Enterprise Edition, support, services...
Agile BI: Discuss the methodology and tools for Agile BI as described in the <a href="http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/AGILEBI">Agile BI wiki</a>
Community: Community related issues, infrastructure, planning, processes etc. It includes the communities of all the Pentaho projects.
Events: Discuss and plan Pentaho community related events around the world.

Archive/Recycle Bin

Where old forums go to die
Dev Sprints
Project News (post to product forum)
Feature Requests (JIRA)
Solution Exchange
Action Sequence Editor Plugin (Merged with BI Platform)
Platform 1.6 RC Testing
Forum Migration Support
Pentaho 1.2 Release Preview
Installation Issues (post to product forum)
Pentaho Cube Designer (inactive)
Dashboard Designer
Pentaho Workflow
Documentation (post to product forum)
Training (Pentaho internal, never used)
Seminole (internal only)
Maven (inactive)
JBoss Rules in the Platform (inactive)

International
Non English language forums moderated and maintained by Pentaho community volunteers. Forum content and sub forums vary by
language including language specific help, documentation and application internationalization.

Francais (French)
Espanol (Spanish)
Portuguese
Italian

-Inactive-
Deutsch (German)
Nederlands
日本語 (Japanese)
Galician
Ελληνικά (Greek)
Pусско (Russian)
Turkish

Blogs

Matt
Will
Julian
Thomas
James

-Inactive-
Gretchen

tdidomenico
10-15-2008, 04:38 PM
Hm, pretty neat. This new structure will be much more usable than the current one.

How about using the word "incubator" in the "community projects" section? In my head at least that word instantly brings up the concept that forum will be associated to. Just my impression though :D

Cheers!

bugg_tb
10-15-2008, 04:54 PM
yup, looks good

dmoran
10-15-2008, 08:46 PM
Incubation would be a good name except 2 years ago we defined an incubation process. It became over complicated and didn't get enough attention and eventually died slowly. I think we ruined the name incubation within Pentaho. :D

FYI: http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/COM/Incubation+Home

tdidomenico
10-16-2008, 11:05 AM
Oh, I see. Incubation Reloaded then?

Just kidding :p

dmoran
01-30-2009, 01:32 PM
We (more specifically Lee) have been working on the upgrade to vBulletin and it has been painfully tedious. In short, there were numerous customizations and edits of the PHP files and without the original developer it was slow getting a handle on the changes.

Anyway - we are in a position where there is very little customization, which should make future upgrades easy (and possible.) As a consequence, the forums will look a little different. One change that we had to make was to return to the default vBulletin style. This style (skin) is now available for testing. Before doing the upgrade we want to be sure that people can still do what they need to and also get some feedback.

Please check out this new skin and make sure you can still work with the forums the way you would like to. To change it:

Click on "User Control Panel" under "Welcome..." in the left pane.
Click on "Edit Options" under "Settings & Options"
Scroll down to "Forum Skin", the last option under "Miscellaneous Options" bottom
Select "Pentaho Style v2.0 (vBulletin 3.8.0)" from the dropdown.

If you try the change, let us know by posting your operating system and browser info to this thread. Also post all comments and issues to this thread.

The change over to 3.8 should take place in the first week in February. The forum structure (as discussed in this thread (http://forums.pentaho.org/showthread.php?p=198400#poststop)) will be changing along with the upgrade.

Thanks,
Doug

pmalves
01-30-2009, 01:56 PM
Looks really good. I would only reduce font size, since most threads tend to grow and have code in it

lcheng
01-30-2009, 02:24 PM
Thanks for pointing that out, we were using a 12px font in the old style, and it got increased to 14px for some reason. I've change it back to the 12px that we originally were using.

pmalves
01-30-2009, 02:30 PM
Much better, thanks :)

bugg_tb
01-30-2009, 03:16 PM
Yup, works for me

tdidomenico
01-30-2009, 03:30 PM
Looks good and works right on my Debian "testing" machine, using Iceweasel (Firefox) 3.0.5.

Cheers!

Maria Roldan
02-02-2009, 10:33 AM
looks good!
(win XP, Firefox)

tdidomenico
02-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Quick question: I guess moderators have the power to close threads, right? Because (at least in the Spanish section) there are many cases where people hijack threads after many months, and I'm thinking we could do something about it by closing the threads either manually or automatically after some time, if possible. Has this ever been implemented in this forum?

NOTE: I do see the irony of doing almost the same thing I'm trying to avoid, by posting on this old thread... :P

dmoran
02-05-2009, 02:36 AM
The upgrade to 3.8 is complete. The UI should look different since we have returned to the default style. Please report any issues you you find by posting to this thread.

The next phase will be to roll out the new forum structure. This will take place after a couple days of running 3.8 with no problems.

Doug

pstoellberger
02-05-2009, 07:44 AM
I like the font colour of this UI style, the contrast is bigger and therefore easier to read the text.

Would be nice to keep that ;-) Or at least as option somehow

-paul