PDA

View Full Version : Pentaho web site font

davemc
09-17-2008, 07:52 PM
All the Pentaho web sites use the Tahoma font, often exclusively with no fall back.

eg
/css/partners_popup.css
font-family: tahoma;

I don't have Tahoma on my Ubuntu Linux system. It's generally not available for non-Windows platforms. The default rendered substitute font looks awful, making the entire Pentaho site look bad.

Why does Pentaho, as a flagship Open Source company, with an otherwise sharp web presence, choose to exclusively use such a controversial (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_fonts_for_the_Web), non-free, closed source and utterly Microsoft font for it's entire look and feel ?

David

wbrown
09-18-2008, 09:35 AM
Thank you for the feedback. Our team will take this information into consideration with future projects.

malonso1976
09-19-2008, 01:41 AM
sudo apt-get install msttcorefonts

bugg_tb
09-19-2008, 01:50 AM
sudo apt-get install msttcorefonts

Thats down to preference, some people don't like to install proprietary stuff on the computer, and the website probably shouldn't suck down to user preference ;) , Anyway I'm waiting for the day they fix the fact the menu opens beneath the flash animation on the front page :)

davemc
09-19-2008, 05:13 AM
Actually msttfcorefonts doesn't include Tahoma.

It appeared briefly in 2007, and was then removed again, as Tahoma Bold was not able to be included, due to licence issues.

This really just underlines the point.