PDA

View Full Version : proposal

sboden
10-03-2008, 08:09 AM
Proposal... maybe something can be build in/activated on the forums that people have to wait 24 hours or so before being able to post the first time. It would cut down on the idiot spammers who usually have an attention span (not spam) of a couple of minutes.

Regards,
Sven

bugg_tb
10-03-2008, 09:31 AM
well with the spam we are getting that would seem a relatively good idea, although with the users we have is there no better solution for end user authentication??

dmoran
10-03-2008, 10:15 AM
I'm open to ALL options.

I'm personally not a fan of the waiting period. I think a lot of people join when they have a question and if they have to wait 24 hrs, they may get frustrated and move on.

I am looking into whether the vBulletin people have any ideas.

Doug

dmoran
10-03-2008, 10:50 AM
According to this post, It looks like vBulletin has been compromised.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1632025&postcount=97

Maybe it's time for an upgrade to 3.7 - looks like they have more validation steps.

sboden
10-04-2008, 09:26 AM
It's not that bad yet... Pentaho has only 1 annoying spammer for the moment who works "the manual way"... He's trying to get people to a malware site: http://safebrowsing.clients.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=http://cmiia.com/TRAMADOL/

I'm seriously messing up his "business" right now by issuing some black-listing requests :D ... he should be out of business for a couple of weeks as of next week.

I forgot how much I like to mess up spammers... besides developing software.

Regards,
Sven

Taqua
10-04-2008, 04:09 PM
Well, I would start to be more happy if I could get a one-click-instant-kill button that not only deletes the thread but also bans the poster. I *hate* to go to the Mod-Panel to ban those creeps.

A very easy solution to get rid of the spammers altogether is to simply block all posts with links, if the user is new. At JFree.org, new means less than a couple of posts, and that effectively blocks all but the most stupid spammers. (After all, spammers want to advertise their sites, so each spam posting has links. But some spammers dont have a clue on how to use their spam-bots, and so we still get one or two nonsense posts per week.)

sboden
10-05-2008, 04:57 AM
I figured these guys out. It's more regular army type of spammers than guerilla spammers :D (probably working for a botnet or so)

At the moment they have more than 100 id's on the forums. The only way to get rid of them would be to make the user profile pages only viewable after authentication, and by erasing all of their user id's

On the other hand, the more they hang out here, the more holes I'm ripping in their support structure... a guy's gotta have a hobby ;-)
For the moment I shredded 4 of their attack-vectors ... they should start to realize soon that whenever they post here, the urls they use will become useless.

Regards,
Sven

bugg_tb
10-05-2008, 07:53 AM
Go Sven, Go Sven! ;)