PDA

View Full Version : new to pentaho..please help

pdi_begineer
01-24-2009, 01:39 AM
hi
i have been working on commerical etl tools so far...and was recently assigned on a project..where the client is planning to use pentaho...
before i jump into the documents of pentaho.please help me with the below questions...

1. i heard, pentaho is mainly based on java..what does that mean....does it mean, all the components used in SPOON interface were written on java or does the etl process that we create in SPOON creates a java when compiled...like for ex, the GDE in abinitio generate a ksh when the graph is compiled?
2. what is the native version control tool of pentaho...
3. do pentahao has community version....? or is it just enterprise version...
4. what is the mondrian database all about and what about the xml files that it stores in it?
5. how does scheduling jobs in kettle differs from scheduling it through CRONTAB....

please,help me with the answers for the above questions...

bugg_tb
01-24-2009, 04:50 AM
1. i heard, pentaho is mainly based on java..what does that mean....does it mean, all the components used in SPOON interface were written on java or does the etl process that we create in SPOON creates a java when compiled...like for ex, the GDE in abinitio generate a ksh when the graph is compiled?

The entire platform is written in Java.

2. what is the native version control tool of pentaho...

erm...

3. do pentahao has community version....? or is it just enterprise version...

Yep there is both Enterprise and Community

4. what is the mondrian database all about and what about the xml files that it stores in it?

You'd probably be well off doing a bit more reading about mondrian.

5. how does scheduling jobs in kettle differs from scheduling it through CRONTAB....

Pretty much everyone schedules their jobs in crontab, kettle doesn't really have a usable built in scheduler
please,help me with the answers for the above questions...

anaice
01-28-2009, 08:11 AM
Hi,

Is there anyone could give me the link for downloading a pentaho for linux.

bugg_tb
01-28-2009, 08:12 AM
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pentaho/