PDA

View Full Version : Different granularities for fact tables

CHamel
03-18-2009, 05:24 PM
Hello folks,

I'm starting to use PME and I was wondering if it support having different granularities for 2 or more fact tables?

As an example, I'd like to create a Business Model that includes both Sales and Budget information. Sales data is at day level while Budget is at month level. I do have a "Dates" table that I can refer to.

In Cognos 8, I was able to link Sales to my "Dates" table using the day and the Budget using the month. Within the Dates dimension, I was then able to specify the different level (Day/Week/Month/Year). Thus, once adding column onto a report, the model knew how to aggregate properly.

As an example, let's say I have 5000$ in my budget table for January - only 1 record to describe this. In my Sales table, I have a transaction (100$) for January 1st and another transaction (200$) for January 2nd. I'd like that when creating report and adding both Sales & Budget fact element, the report automatically know about granularities and display 300$ for Sales and 5000$ for budget and not 10,000$...

Hope I've expressed myself clearly and thanks for any hints (if possible).

Best regards,
CHamel

MattCasters
03-19-2009, 05:51 PM
I know what you mean. It's possible in Mondrian but not yet in Pentaho Metadata. It's been on the agenda for a while now, I guess we should write that sooner rather than later.

CHamel
03-19-2009, 06:10 PM
Ok, thanks for the information. I'll keep following on the progress you folks makes with theses tools as I'm simply in love with them ;)