PDA

View Full Version : Can we use Excel Template for Reporting?

raj2010
04-26-2010, 02:18 AM
Hi,

I am new to Pentaho. I am evaluating Pentaho BI suite.
I have few queries related to Excel Reporting using Pentaho.
- Can we use excel templates for Reporting?(Export to customized excel excel)
- If so, in case of formula and dynamic ranges/sections in report how should we approach.
Is there any libraries available so that we can customize and automate report processing with Pentaho?

Thank you in advance,
Raj

mgie
04-26-2010, 08:56 AM
Hi!
With the Reporting-Engine you can't use excel templates. The engine tries to recreate your report layout as close as possible in excel. From my experience this layout-oriented approach makes the excel-export not so usefull for people who want to work further with the data in excel. To have a "clean" table in excel you really need to take care in your report layout.
For excel power-users a much better solution could be to export data with kettle. There you can also use sort of excel-templates (quite limited).
Here is an idea about how this could work:
http://www.nicholasgoodman.com/bt/blog/2009/02/09/self-service-data-export-using-pentaho/

regards,

mgie

raj2010
04-27-2010, 02:15 AM
Hi Mgie,
Thanks for your inputs and the URL.
So, I won't be able to use Pentaho Reporting using Excel Templates manually created which is having Macros,formulas and dynamic ranges and multiple sheets.

How much customization can be done for excel using data export to Kettle? Can we set dynamic ranges and multiple sheets in excel based on data export to excel?

Thanks Again,
Raj

Taqua
04-27-2010, 04:56 AM
If you want to have a feature that is not yet there, file us a JIRA case.